The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

How Do You Encourage The Virgin Stud Dog??

fatwhippet

Registered
Reaction score
hi everyone, just looking for a bit of advice, my bitch is experienced and has had two previous litters however the stud that i want to use this time is a virgin, i know that this is risky because he is not proven etc but he is a really nice dog with good lines and show credentials so i want to give it a try but even though my bitch is ready and will stand for him he seems very unsure of what to do, i am taking her back again today and was wondering if there is anything that we can do to encourage him, if you know what i mean.

when i have gone to stud before they just got on with it but i really want to give this dog a go.

thanks

What is the age of the stud dog? He may not 'know' what he is doing if very young.

You can't make a dog mate a bitch, if he doesn't, it's not mean't to be.

My stud just knew what he was supposed to do,,he lined his first bitch at 4yrs old,,she was a maiden too :eek:

His son is 3yrs old,,and im 100% sure he would know what to do also :D ,,although he's getting the op,,as he's not going to stud :eek:

If the stud is young,,,then maybe wait another year, and also even if your lass is looking like she is ready :) , the stud might know different :b

Sometimes it takes a good few hours for them to get the idea.

I bred my black german shepard bitch to a black unproven stud we traveled over 150 miles to do this thought is wasn't gonna happen as both dogs where virgin after a hour or so of them running round playing and flirting he was getting to anxious so we split them up for 30 mins tried again .We where lucky we had a large plot of land to use so they played for a while so we left them alone as we could see them from the window anyway 4 hrs later just as we went in the garage to get the leads to go home he mounted they tied and we had a litter of puppies all blacks too :) was well worth the wait and boredom.

So my advice is take your bitch and wait it out sooner of later he will get the idea leave them together for so long then if nothing happens sperate them for a while so they can both chill out then try again. Also some dogs don't like a huge audience so keep it as quiet as possible.

Your other option is to take the stud home or leave your bitch there see what happens.

Back