The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

House trained dog started to urinate on his bed

shanmac92

Registered
Reaction score
I have a one year old chihuahua called toby, we got him when he was around 3 months, he's very timid as was badly treated. He is neutered, and we also had to train him to use the doggy door and do his business outside. This has been 100% perfect until two weeks ago. We have two other dogs, two mini dachshunds (girl and boy) both neutered, and they all share one large bed as they like to snuggle. Toby has started to pee on the bed. I've only caught him in the act once and put him straight outside to finish his business. The bed has been washed, the floor has been washed so theres no scent left, even purchased several new beds but he still continues to pee on them. I've even started to re-train him to go outside as if he was a puppy again, and that works perfectly until the dogs are left alone, he goes back to peeing on the bed. He gets plenty of attention the whole day and is played with. He hasn't unfortunately been walked in a while as the weather is so poor. I really can't understand why he's doing this. It started off as one random pee on the bed two weeks ago, and progressed to several a day. Another thing is that he is pooping at the back door, just below the dog door on the mat. He then lifts said poop and brings it onto the bed also. I'm at my wits end. I don't want him thinking that peeing and pooping indoors means I always stay in the room with him, but this is the only way I can stop this behaviour.

Someone please help?!

I think we all take it for granted that they have "got it" but sometime we need to keep the praise up.

Has there been any changes in his diet, routine, has there been an increase in stress? Sometimes things like this can be an outward sign on stress. If you get worried maybe speak to your vet?

In my experience your dog is bored, and they mess sometimes to get your attention.

You say you havent walked him a while cus the weather is poor. Apologies for my outburst now but SO WHAT???

Poor weather is no excuse not to walk your dog. Unless there is a storm outside or sub zero temperatures you shoud be walking your dog. If its cold get him a little coat.

You should be walking your dog at least once a day for an hour. or split it into 2 30 minute walks.

Your dog has no stimulation being stuck indoors all day. they need to be walked! Just because he is small doesnt mean he doesnt need to be walked.

get your lead out and walk your dog! My guess is that this behaviour will stop once you start walking him again.

if it doesnt then you need to get him to the vet to rule out any medical issues just in case your pooch is poorly.

I wish you the best of luck and hope this behaviour stops for you, but please please please walk your dogs.

Sophie x

First get him checked by a vet.

Once that is done then I would go back to basics and re train him outdoors. To do this properly you must be near him when he goes so that the treat can be given immediately. This means he is in no doubt as to why he got the treat. Once this sinks in he should start to "work" to get that treat. This results in him giving you messages that he needs to go outside in order to treat that is only on offer out there.

Clean the bedding and floor with 10% solution of biological detergent. Rinse. Dry. Go over the area with a spirit such as surgical spirit to remove the last fat traces present in urine.

If he continues then consider that it is a behaviour issue. Some dogs seek "relief" from some sort of stress in their life. Weeing is a form of stress relief. While you are doing all the above house training try to keep an eye on what could be causing him stress. Is one of the other dogs guarding the bed? Or guarding a valued toy/resting place? Is he reliant on you in some way and, therefore, not coping when left? Some dogs do not want the company of other dogs and may even find them stressful to live with. Any household changes? The list is endless of what can be causing stress.

Do remember to hide your frustration when finding the wees/poos as this will add to his stress!

Consider calling in a qualified Pet Behaviour Therapist from either COAPE or APBC

I have a Chihuahua cross and she is not the easiest when it comes to house training. She will be a year old next week but she will go to the toilet, in the house, right in font of me if I haven't immediately responded to her cue that she needs to go out. It's as if she hasn't quite made the link that just because she can't immediately get out it doesn't mean just do it! She's physically able to wait as she never has to go when she's restricted in a crate. My vet says she's fine and that Chihuahuas are notoriously difficult when it comes to toilet training. I find that routine helps best. Taking her into the garden at regular intervals, especially after a meal. If you aren't able to walk your dog every day, then keep him stimulated with games and mental puzzles. Crate training can be a big help as long as the dog isn't left in a crate for more than 3 hours a day, unless it's night time. Also, perhaps don't have the dog flap in use for a while so he has to ask to go out. It would be easy for me to say you must walk your dog daily, but I don't know your personal circumstances and wouldn't be that presumptious. Yes, small dogs need exercise too, but this isn't a perfect world, and better he has a loving home, someone to play with, mental stimulation and walks as much as you can than be as some other poor dogs who are neglected or have no home at all. Good luck. image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back