The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Hind Leg Amputation

scratchalice

Registered
Reaction score
:( My poor scratch who is a whippet cross deerhound and lurcher cross, shes eight years old now. will have to have her back leg amputated, im devastated by this, i have to make a decision for Thursday. Scratch broke her leg a month ago just by running like a race horse on the flat playing fields which she has done for years without anyproblems. She had a severe stress fracture.

The vet operated and put in a screw and wire. One month on after a second xray they said that the bones were just not fusing together and that she would need another operation. They mentioned an amputation would be the kindest for her.

The other option is to have more plates and metals inserted where there is a high risk of infection and no guarantee that things will be ok after Scratch having the operation the first time.

I would appreciate it anyone can tell me if their dogs have had amputation and did the lurcher manage ok afterwards. i need all support help I can get im devastated Im in Beaumont Leys. leicester.

From a distressed lurcher owner

faith

Faith, I have replied on the othe thread - don't dispair, all will be good :huggles:

Back