The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

help

Anthony H

Registered
Reaction score
hi ever1 its good to be back

two of my dogs have for some reason got into the habit of recycling(eating dog poo). i know theyre getting enough food because they aren't even on a race diet yet because theyre too young. i have had to muzzle them but is their any other way to stop it. cheers

Hiya Anthony,

I had this problem with my bitch who would 'recycle' whilst she was a pup, up until about 9 months.  We tried most things to stop her!  You could tell when she'd been doing it because she would come creeping in knowing that she'd done wrong.   I think it's just something that most dogs grow out of although the odd one or two will always do it occasionally (Michelle will tell you more!).  

Bet your getting lovely doggy kisses!!!!

HI ANTHONY WELL I HAVE HEARD ABOUT THIS QUITE ALOT MOLLY AND ANDY HAD ONE THAT EATS HIS OWN POO.. ANDY GOT SOME TABLETS FROM THE VET YOU GIVE THEM1  EVERY DAY AND ITS SUPPOSE TO STOP THEM IT LETS A BAD SMELL OFF WHEN THEY GO TO THE TOILET

some say that they need, or are not getting enough vitamins

some say they need more food,although ive read and heard that vets dont know the correct reason for this yet.but say it dosen't do them harm unless the stool is from a sick animal,id keep them on a lead until youve sorted it out,better safe than sorry.

Hi Anthony i only have had one dog that did this, the way i stopped it was to just leave a bag of red mills down on the floor and it helped its self ,when and as often as it required .The only trouble is getting the weight off afterwards, i was not to concerned as it was only a pup at the time ,so it ran the extra off quite easily.I suspect this is quite common in pups as they tend to eat wood plastic more or less anything that is about.Most do grow out of the habbit thankfully .I had one that used to pinch anything even mustard by the jar even though it made him ill he only stopped with age.

It's michelle,(not sam, afterall he is only 21/2 :D ),

It's mainly my girls that recycle, what I found is that even if you have 1 dog that does it, others will copy cos they think they are missing out on something tasty :angry: , I've asked my vet about it and he says they just do it, no particular reason-they just do it!!!. I agree that you can tell when they have done it(recycled) cos they come in creeping and have poo belches!!!!. To be honest sky(poo eating ringleader!!) has been doing it for soooooo long we just ignore it now.

What I have noticed esp with sky, she is never ill or has ever had worms!!!(maybe no bacteria could live in her stomach :0 )

Back