The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Help

molly's mummy

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder in anyone can help.. My beautiful 10 month old whippet/collie cross called molly is just coming out of her first proper season.. We've managed ok but she's snarled and went for either myself or partner if we maybe pat her particularly at night when she's been in her bed.. She then realises whats she's done and comes up to us slowly almost in slow motion to be cuddled.. Is this just her hormones?

Thanx

molly said:
I wonder in anyone can help..  My beautiful 10 month old whippet/collie cross called molly is just coming out of her first proper season..  We've managed ok but she's snarled and went for either myself or partner if we maybe pat her particularly at night when she's been in her bed..  She then realises whats she's done and comes up to us slowly almost in slow motion to be cuddled..  Is this just her hormones? 

Thanx

She need putting back in her place if she is going for you. But I would say it is hormones, but that besides the point. typical women three weeks before, three weeks during and three weeks after !!!

she could be off it for a bit longer yet, off food, unsociable down right fed up.

But then its just females, if men bled for that long we would die!! :x

hmmm I don't know if I'm right here but it sounds like because your dog has now become a ''young lady'' she see her self as head of the pack maybe? (alpha female)

you need to stand your ground, if she growls at you when you go to pat her a firm 'NO' is needed and carry on patting her, don't let her tell you what to do, you'll make that decision not her, if she get's really nasty a 'time out' might be needed, by this I mean totally ignore her and if possible put her on her own for 10 mins or so........

or it might just be her hormones (us women and PMT lol) in that case it will settle down hopefully :thumbsup:

hopefully someone else might have had some experiance with this??

I never had a problem with any of my bitches, as far as aggression towards people goes, but they certainly can get pretty stroppy towards other dogs. When she snarled was she aware that it is you that touch her? If she was asleep it is possible she just got startled.

In any case if she did it again I would tell her off very firmly and then ignore her for a while. That should be enough to make her realise that growling is not on. :luck:

Anathor thought; If it continues, watch her carefully make sure she is OK, and suggestion that she may not be well take her to be checked by the vet. There maybe another reason, something hurting her, the season may be just coincidental.

*Mark* said:
molly said:
I wonder in anyone can help..  My beautiful 10 month old whippet/collie cross called molly is just coming out of her first proper season..  We've managed ok but she's snarled and went for either myself or partner if we maybe pat her particularly at night when she's been in her bed..  She then realises whats she's done and comes up to us slowly almost in slow motion to be cuddled..  Is this just her hormones? 

Thanx

She need putting back in her place if she is going for you. But I would say it is hormones, but that besides the point. typical women three weeks before, three weeks during and three weeks after !!!

she could be off it for a bit longer yet, off food, unsociable down right fed up.

But then its just females, if men bled for that long we would die!! :x

That's because men are wimps, they would be on deaths door every month like they are when they have a sniffle :p

Back