The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Help Me!!!!

gogomollie

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I am in need of some advice, i currently own a crossed Greyhound/Whippet and she is about 6 months old, this is the first time i have had a dog but the problem i have with her is she is showing signs of agreessive behaviour. she is always biting the leader when out walking and if i let her roam the house she never seems to settle down she is always jumping over everyone and trying to grab peoples hands with her teeth!

Is anybody able to give me some advice?

Regards

Lee

Its not unusual and it isn't nessercerly aggresive behaviour. They're all like that. Well all mine are anyway. The average non ped whippet is as mad as a box of frogs as a pup but they do calm down eventually.

The mouthing and chewing on of the lead should be discouraged but I wouldn't worry about it. (apart from keep having to buy new leads every other week)

It looks like fairly normal puppy behaviour, they should settle down eventually.

A trick we used to get the our dogs to stop chewing the leads was to take treats when out a walk, this discouraged them from doing it and stops them pulling.

I've got a whippetxgreyhound who's 8 months old and she's a complete nutter (w00t)

When she's out walking, she always mouths other dogs when playing but knows how far to take it.

As for the mouthing and jumping you need to discourage that.

Say OUCH loudly when they mouth you and usually they stop and I found by saying NO firmly and making them sit when they try jumping about can help.

I found using a shaker helped a bit too, just shake it firmly and say no when they do something naughty...Dippy learnt quicky that way :thumbsup:

our roddy was mad as a hatter ,around a year should settle down. he is now a wonderful dog. my 8 month old pup now is the same as yours,mouthing flying about,but she slowly getting better slowly. keeping in check will do the trick :thumbsup: dont worry all with come right ;)

Tony Taylor said:
The average non ped whippet is as mad as a box of frogs as a pup but they do calm down eventually.
ROFLMAO!!! (w00t) Your delusional!!

Oh and Lee mine's on it's 14th dog lead, I even tried choke chains to deter him but he ate the handles! :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
:thumbsup: Yes, this sounds just like normal puppy stuff.. My molly's a whippet/collie cross and nearly a year old now and is still pretty crazy. When she nibbles peoples hands we just say a firm no and she ends up licking and sucking up to us instead - its comical.. she's also turned out to be the most loving wee dog and loves a cuddle at night and being told how fabulous she is (w00t)

Normal puppy behaviour if you ask me.

try using a harness or I found the halti was very good for our Molly (CHUCKY)

she lived uop to her racing name ) they can't pull on the halti

Back