The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Height

chelynnah

Whippet Servant
Registered
Reaction score
I was just browsing through the Kennel Club page and looked up the 'breed standard' for whippets.  It says height for bitches should be 17 1/2- 18 1/2 inches.  Now my girl is 19 and is dwarfed in the ring!!  I'm confused!

Wendy

In this country we don't disqualify on height. Big animals have more "presence" in the ring & are often rewarded. Having said that some of the dog's that look huge aren't that big when you actually put your'e own dog near them. They are so well set up they just look big. The "Oakbark" dogs always look big in the ring but aren't when you actually get near them & put your hand's over them.

Try taking a funny coloured fine boned 17 1/2" 'un into a champ class if you want to feel out of place <LOL>.

Terry Smith

Don't start on this old chestnut again!!!!!!!!!!!!!  LOL!!!  You will have those wanting to measure them before they get into the ring and exclude those who don't go under the measure!!!!!!!!  Not much democracy in that.  As I have said before:  it is a fault like any other and should be taken into consideration when judging the dog as a whole.

Hi Wendy

Take a look at the post in General headed when do they stop growing!

The problem is the number of dogs in the ring that are well above the breed standard make the ones of correct size look small.  So it is the ones within the breed standard size that loose out in the end! :(

Terry how can you set a dog up to look big? :0

Terry how can you set a dog up to look big?  

I don't mean anything an handler can do.I've heard of horses being described as a "well set up type" don't know what the term for the canine equivalent is. I mean the dogs in general are well sprung, big boned & big fronted. They are also pretty hefty. If they are natural showers the can look bigger than they are. As I said I have often been suprised at how small some of these dogs are when you actually get to measure them. In answer to Millie I'm not that bothered how big they are. As I've said in previous threads big happens no matter how hard you try to get it right . I don't think any one should be excluded from their chosen pursuit because they are unfortunate enough to get a big 'un. The alternative is lot's of quite mature dogs will be looking for "pet homes" Whether or not judges are right to place oversize dogs is another issue.

Terry Smith

:D Hi Terry,

(In answer to Millie I'm not that bothered how big they are.)

I think we have our wires crossed here.............I have stayed out of this topic, just took an intrest in reading everyones thoughts................I have not been in the breed for that long, I've still got a lot to learn, if we ever stop learning!!

Having had Millie measure recently I was amazed to find she was above the required size  (the breed standard)........most comments I had received since showing her were "it nice to see a proper size whippet" so it just goes to show how size can be so deceiving. :D

Thats just the point Wendy. The size of many dogs is mesleading and to see a Black dog and a White dog both built the same you would say the white was larger than the black, ie colour can be deceiving.

If you are at MWC Sunday it is worth just studying the variation in size, apparent or real, and how the experienced handlers make their dogs look 'better' than they really are.

If anyone is there please come say 'eh oh' to us. We wont be there too early but should arrive, hopefully, before our classes <<G>>

Hi Guys,

Have to agree with Dawn here, at the end of the day - dogs in the ring are judged relative to each other and that includes size.

Have to disagree with Terry.  I personally think that the Oakbarks are some of the better size dogs in the ring - at this point in time!

Hi Dawn,

Not going to M.W.C. on Sunday - on puppy watch - again!  

You can't wait for them to open their eyes and get on their feet and then you wish they were on their bellies with their eyes shut!

Best of luck tommorrow - let us know how you do!

Best Regards - Kat.

"Have to disagree with Terry.  I personally think that the Oakbarks are some of the better size dogs in the ring - at this point in time!"

What do you mean by "better" if you mean correct (to the standard) then I agree. I've re-read my post & can't see where I said they weren't correct. In a recent show catalogue Ch. O. Mane Attraction is advertised at 20-1/2" & O. Millenium Gold is 20". You can't get much more correct than that. I personally think Ch. O. Mariel is one of the nicest bitch's I've ever seen. She is beautifully put together & a lovely colour. I would have loved to put her at the back of a lure in her pomp bet she could move.

Terry Smith

Hi Terry,

Yes, Mariel was a beautifull bitch in her prime - well balanced and lovely proportions.  Never saw her in the ring when she was younger - which I regret.

My Oakbark dog himself stands at 20.5 inches and at times has looked a touch small in the ring!

Regards - Kat.

Wasn't trying to 'open a chestnut' or whatever the phrase was. Was just a bit surprised to find that Savannah who is at times honestly dwarfed in the ring is still above the published breed standard for bitch size! I thought bitches went to 20 and dogs 23, but then that's probably the American Breed Standard as I'm on a lot of US boards as well LOL.

I actually prefer them smaller - would LOVE a 17 inch one! For my own taste Savvy is the perfect size - I don't want my 'girls' to look like 'boys':p

Wendy

heres my whippet 8 months old. i call her Dinky. She is 17inch I like the smaller whippets. I think whippets should be small.

View attachment 105

Last edited:
Nice looking whippet you have there Noopy.

What breeding is she??

Hi Wendy heres a small one for you, Parkstone Lucky Charm (WCRCh Hammeron x Parkstone taboo) is almost 2 years old (at xmas) weighs 14lb and is just under 17"

View attachment 106

Last edited by a moderator:
shes not KC reg both her parents are. Her mum is Whoops a Daisy. Daisy sire is Toms Memory. Her dad was Little Jack Sprat. His sire is Shandril Sunshine superman his dam was Sandspring stars in her eyes. She a lovely little girl.

Wow - Mark that IS small!! what a sweetie though!

Noopy - your girl is lovely - very similar in colour to the fawn in my girl though mine has more white to her.

Wendy

I've not been showing long enough to say - but I think she's gorgeous anyway!

I'm still trying to figure out what makes a good show dog LOL.

Wendy

Back