The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Heating Choices For A Kennel

weedug

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere on the site but I have been unable to find it so would like to ask if someone could point me in the right direction.

Our two whippets are kept in a kennel built inside a garage when we're out but as it's turned rather cold I'd like to ensure they/the bed area are kept warm.

I'd like to do this without having to resort to getting a third whippet :)

Thanks.

personally i use heat lamps or greenhouse heaters £11.99 from B & Q, less than 2p an hour to run , screwed to the wall, plenty of duvets too, beds are raised benches too , roughly around 16- 20 degress :thumbsup:

When I kept a couple of mine out, they had deep boxes with a cut out bit to go in and out of, I used shredded paper bedding, loads of it so they could dig into it. I had a heat lamp over the actual box, it was a dull emitter one that cost pence to run, 250 watt. You could probably get one from a farm supply shop, I think you could use a pig lamp instead. The dogs were always happy to stay out there and were warm and cosy.

I had the boxes facing away from the draughts as well.

Great. Heat lamp ordered from Ebay now. Thanks for the help.

Maybe wont be so hard to get him away from the fire now :)

I use the thermo tubular heaters they come in 3 lengths 2ft / 4ft / 6ft

moretoniacarol@tiscali.co.uk said:
whippets are house dogs cant you find them somewhere in doors i would not dream of putting mine out in the winter
They are okay outside providing their kennel is warm, mine were only in the kennel when we were out, as soon as one of us came home, they were brought in.

When they went out to bed, I would have made sure the kennel was warm, otherwise they would not go in!!!!!!! They knew if the lamp had been left off.

I would not like them to be out all the time, they all live in now, as we have more room.

I have kennel coats for all my lurchers and my whippets live indoors with me :thumbsup:

whippets are house dogs cant you find them somewhere in doors i would not dream of putting mine out in the winter
who decided they are house dogs?? you or is that you keep yours inside and so doing believe everyone should follow suit get a grip,i have a litter of pups outside all cosy, all thriving as long as heating is provided and no draughts etc they are fine

id rather dogs were kept in warm heated kennels, than houses with no heating on at night , i prefer to keep mine as i see fit , warm and cosy , doesnt make anyway right or wrong its personal choice :thumbsup: dogs left downstairs at night are kept no different to kennel dogs still close to owner just not in same room :thumbsup:

my dogs coats and general condition show the benefits of warm kennels :thumbsup:

Mine are lucky downstairs, we have a rayburn and their bed is in front of it at night!

I bought this for my pups, it is actually used for baby chicks, unlike heat lamps it does not emit any light, just radiates nice even heat without getting too hot. The globe is heavy ceramic.

Here is the link where mine came from, click on EQUIPMENT and then BROODERS

Pandolel Brooder

I have not idea where these are made, but I am sure something like that would be also available in UK.

Before I got this i used to run a oil filled column heater in the dog room; this is lot less costly.

Last edited by a moderator:
masta said:
who decided they are house dogs?? you or is that you keep yours inside and so doing believe everyone should follow suit get a grip,i have a litter of pups outside all cosy, all thriving as long as heating is provided and no draughts etc they are fine

I need a heat lamp :( for my back door :( ...

... to keep me warm at 6am whilst I'm shivering on the doorstep and the pups are racing around the garden :- " .

Frost ? What's that ? CATCH ME IF YOU CAN !!! My poor toes are blue by the time they finally decide to stop playing and come back inside :unsure: .

Fleesh said:
masta said:

I need a heat lamp :( for my back door :( ...

... to keep me warm at 6am whilst I'm shivering on the doorstep and the pups are racing around the garden :- " .

Frost ? What's that ? CATCH ME IF YOU CAN !!! My poor toes are blue by the time they finally decide to stop playing and come back inside :unsure: .

(w00t) (w00t)

poor you

our kennel heaters are left on 24/7 during the winter ogs have a choice where they want to be in the house or kennel wonder why they always choose kennel 8) :- " even have to shout them out in a morning pups as well :huggles:

Back