The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Heart murmur in patterdale puppy

hollydoubleu

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

We have a 11 1/2 week old Patterdale pup called Rufus. We've had him for nearly three weeks and absolutely adore him.

When he went for his first injection, vet said she heard a quiet heart murmur but said it could be something he grows out of but we will keep monitoring. He went for his second injection today and the heart murmur is still there but no better or worse. Again vet has said we shouldn't be overly concerned and she will examine him again at his next injection in 3 weeks time and then we take it from there.

I've read that a lot of pups can have quiet heart murmurs that disappear as they get older, especially in smaller puppies but I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice if they have been in a similar situation. We know that if his heart murmur is still there he will be going in for an ECG and the murmur will be graded etc but I guess I just want to know how common these quiet murmurs are in young pups and how many of them resolve. Ie, how much should I worry? Is it common enough that it will most likely disappear or is it a 50/50 thing. I hope this makes sense, I just want to prepare myself for either outcome. If there's a small chance that it could be an ongoing condition then we can start to take appropriate steps.

He was insured from his first vet appointment (2 days after we got him) which annoyingly means his heart murmur won't be covered by the insurance.

Any information anyone can give would be great thank you.

Hi- I'm not sure re puppies- though like you have heard that a murmur can disappear in a puppy as it matures. I do know we had a rescue whippet x lab with one, only found when we took him on, that lived to be 17.

Back