The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Has Anyone Heard How The Whippet Community Is In Vic?

stonegrace

Registered
Reaction score
These fires are devastating, i hope EVERYONE gets through OK. I also hope that the many Whippet people, their dogs, family and kennels over there are safe.

Im not sure if there is anything i can do here in the West, but if anyone needs dogs temporarily housed till they sort themselves out, i am happy to oblige, im on half an acre, no kennels but secure property. Im not even sure people could get to airports to fly dogs out, probably not, but thought i would offer. :(

Just heard from Gail Knightsbridge in Vic, she is ok for now but packed and ready to go if necessary I have asked her to keep in touch while she can

it must be awful :( i do hope everyone stays safe here we are moaning about a bit of snow :(

The only people I can think of that live in areas close to the fires are John and Angela McLeod. I do not think there was a fire in the actual place they are though.

But some of the "smaller" fires do not even get reported on TV, we had here quite lot of smoke yesterday, and later i found out there were fires somewhere along the foreshore, including one in Black Rock, which is half way between here and the city.

keep safe everyone wishing you all the luck :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Kirislin was evacuating very late last night. She hasn't been on line since evacuating. If anyone hears from her please let us know.

Take care all of you that live in affected areas. :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Karen

ive been watching this on sky news I hope you all are ok let us all know how your doing if you can :wub: :wub: :wub:

Wishing all Victorian k9ers the very best at this horrible time

Take care

It is quite surreal, here in Melbourne it started to rain Saturday night and the temperature went from 46 to below 20 degrees overnight, so it is difficult to comprehend that the fires are still raging only some 50-100km from here.

There does not seem to be anything major in the area Kirislin is, at least not on this website, they may be without power though

fires in VIC

Also Gail and Byerley (bookworm) who live in a bushfire prone areas are hopefully out of harm's way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stay safe all of you.
It's Monday, 5pm. Last count 750 houses have gone, 136 people dead. They are just the people who have been identified & families notified, it doesn't include the pile at the morgue or those still to be found in cars & houses etc. It's an absolutely horrific task for the people trying to identify people by DNA alone. The mother of a whippet breeder had to provide DNA this morning. Her sister & 4 children are missing. The most well known Victorian breeders of a large terrier breed had to run. They crammed as many dogs as they could in their dog trailer & had to leave the others behind in their kennels. On the road the fire overtook them. They jumped out of the car & ran for their lives into a field that already burned. The fire engulfed the car & trailer & they had to listen to their dogs' screams as they were incinerated. They also lost their house & the other dogs left behind. They have nothing but each other & the clothes they stand up in. Remember these fires are the height of a 5 storey building, travelling up to 100kph. It's a hell you cannot even begin to imagine. The burning embers can travel from 5 - 50 kms ahead of the fire front & they cause more fires as they land in tinder dry forest or the roof of a house.

The TV isn't giving up to date information, you need the ABC - 774 which is broadcasting 24/7 updates from the CFA (Country Fire Authority). I have just heard that the Beenak fire has changed direction & is heading towards Gembrook which is only 8kms from here. I've sent a message to Bookworm at his work to warn him. I'm about to pack the car & stand ready to run.

The ABC has just said the fire on Mt. Riddell in Healesville is out of control. Linda Meerman - Krislin - lives on its slopes. I know she evacuated her horse to the Pony Club ground yesterday & her car was packed ready to go. Run, Linda, run - the time has come to go.

I must go too. As I type I'm looking out at a mild, gently sunny summer day - it could become an inferno within hours so I have work to do.

Gail Knightbridge.

Thinking about all you folk out in Victoria. What a dreadful situation. :unsure: Hoping that you and your animals can all stay safe. Good luck to you all in making the right decisions and take care. :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Thinking of you all out there...hope everyone is safe and sound... :luck: :luck:

Kirislin was evacuating very late last night. She hasn't been on line since evacuating. If anyone hears from her please let us know.

Karen
Kirislin is safe in Healesville. :)

Sarsanet:

The most well known Victorian breeders of a large terrier breed had to run. They crammed as many dogs as they could in their dog trailer & had to leave the others behind in their kennels. On the road the fire overtook them. They jumped out of the car & ran for their lives into a field that already burned. The fire engulfed the car & trailer & they had to listen to their dogs' screams as they were incinerated. They also lost their house & the other dogs left behind.
If it was the Oldiron Airedales you were thinking of, they are safe Sarsanet but they are the only things their owners saved. It was the Parks' GSPs that died in the trailer. The Victorian Canine Association are publishing information on the status of breeders in the area as it comes to hand.

Link for the latest PDF is here. I pray the news on the Dobermann folk is good.

RIP the Davey family. :(

You say Linda is safe in Healesville? Are you sure?

I only ask as she took some pictures and that fire was sooo close to the back of her house. She evacuated with her whippets and horse two days ago and we've heard nothing since. I am sure she is safe, and hope and pray her house is intact, but do fear the worst.

Not that I'm expecting her to post on the boards as her first priority, but if anyone hears from her, or about her indirectly, I'd really like to know.

Thanks

TCx

Karen
Kirislin is safe in Healesville. :)

Sarsanet:

The most well known Victorian breeders of a large terrier breed had to run. They crammed as many dogs as they could in their dog trailer & had to leave the others behind in their kennels. On the road the fire overtook them. They jumped out of the car & ran for their lives into a field that already burned. The fire engulfed the car & trailer & they had to listen to their dogs' screams as they were incinerated. They also lost their house & the other dogs left behind.
If it was the Oldiron Airedales you were thinking of, they are safe Sarsanet but they are the only things their owners saved. It was the Parks' GSPs that died in the trailer. The Victorian Canine Association are publishing information on the status of breeders in the area as it comes to hand.

Link for the latest PDF is here. I pray the news on the Dobermann folk is good.

RIP the Davey family. :(
This is just awful :(

TCx

I only ask as she took some pictures and that fire was sooo close to the back of her house. She evacuated with her whippets and horse two days ago and we've heard nothing since. I am sure she is safe, and hope and pray her house is intact, but do fear the worst.

Not that I'm expecting her to post on the boards as her first priority, but if anyone hears from her, or about her indirectly, I'd really like to know.

Thanks

TCx
Yes, I'm sure. :) I asked on Dogzonline for an update from anyone who had heard from her and someone who has spoken to her responded. They will update my post and I'll update here if you like.

Thanks

TCx
Yes, I'm sure. :) I asked on Dogzonline for an update from anyone who had heard from her and someone who has spoken to her responded. They will update my post and I'll update here if you like.
Thank you so much! What a relief to hear that she IS okay! I just hope for her sake that her house survived.

TCx

Kirislin contacted the person who responded to me about 3 hours ago TC so the news was pretty fresh. :)

Back