The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Growling!

GreyCrazy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here so I hope it's ok to ask for advice straight off... :unsure: About 7 weeks ago I adopted an ex-racer, he's been fantastic, really well-mannered with people and other dogs of all ages, shapes and sizes and affectionate. But this morning when I went to stroke him on his bed which he's been fine with up to yet (he definitely wasn't asleep as he'd only just layed down), he growled. Not a big growl, just a rumble. He's done it a couple of times now. He also seems quite unsettled, he was wide awake and lying on the floor beside his bed when I got up this morning (I usually have to coax him out) and can't seem to get comfortable in any position when usually after his breakfast he goes straight back to sleep. I'm keeping an eye on him in case it's cause he's unwell, but he's eating fine, was full of beans when I let him out for a wee and doesn't have an upset stomach or anything. So did I do something wrong?? If it's a dominance thing I want to make sure it gets stopped before it starts. :( Thanx in advance for any help...

Em

hi my name is shabby well my nick name is i was new on here not that long ago and every1 is really nice!!!

Are you sure it was a growl ? My whippets do all sorts of grumbling noises ?

maybe its his way of saying he wants to be left alone ...i have a growler called ollie i call him my grumpy old man lol hes always growling at something or other but hed never bit or go for us (turst me iv put it to the test ) some dogs are just grumpy wen in there space and its just his way of saying leave me alone ,maybe keep and eye on him just incase he is feeling a little poorly :luck: ooo welcome to k9 by the way :D

If He IS growling, sit in his bed with him. It sounds daft, but you are showing him that you are the boss and you have every right to his bed if you want it! You could even try forcing him out by taking up all the space :D

Toddy sometimes gives a grumbly growl if he is disturbed when he is comfortable on the sofa. I do not stand for it and he finds himself sitting on the floor or in his own bed. he has to understand that he is on the sofa which is ours by invitation and that it is OUR sofa.

He may be unwell ! leave him be and carry on as normal but keep a close eye on how he is :thumbsup:

This thread was posted in January!! I think it's probably sorted by now :thumbsup:

Back