The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Green Green Grass Of Home!

gilliwigs

Registered
Reaction score
Visited my parents in Cardiff for a few days with Jonah (Muffin stayed at home). So here's a few pics.

Looking out over Cardiff Bay. This is what used to be known as Tiger Bay.

20070823_1006e.jpg

Mum, my brother & Jonah

20070823_1007e.jpg

The new Welsh Assembly building - looks like something out of Dr Who! (w00t)

20070823_1008.jpg

Looking across to Penarth Head

20070823_1009cce.jpg

Custom House. This building is one of only a few left of all the original buildings. Glad they didn't demolish it as it's so impressive.

20070823_1011cc.jpg

The house on the end of this terrace is where my great grand-parents lived and where my mother spent some of her childhood. Now surrounded by new buildings. She grew up in Tiger Bay and says it was a really safe place, contradicting its popular image that the film of the same name gave it! I remember visiting my great grandmother when I was little - all this area was mudflats, but since the barrage it has been turned into a wetlands area. Can't believe how different it all is now! :unsure: My great grandmother could never in her wildest dreams have imagined that it would look like it does now!! :eek:

20070823_1016.jpg

20070823_1016c.jpg

20070823_1017c.jpg

Young seagull.

20070823_1018c.jpg

20070823_1019c.jpg

What a beautiful place :)) yes its funny how things change and move on the Welsh assembly buildings is really something your Grandparents could never have imagined anything like that!!!!!

Lovely picture of your mum and brother and of course the beautiful Jonah :)) :)) :))

A few more of Jonah. :wub:

Who's that coming over the hill? (w00t) It's Jonah!! :wub: :lol:

20070823_1027.jpg

20070823_1026.jpg

20070823_1033.jpg

20070823_1034.jpg

20070823_1035.jpg

One hot dog! :sweating: :teehee:

20070823_1029c.jpg

In the nature reserve. Lily pads and ducks! :D

20070825_1054cc.jpg

20070825_1055c.jpg

20070825_1059.jpg

Jonah has his eye on this one for his lunch! (Didn't get it though :lol: )

20070825_1060c.jpg

Fab pics gillian ,love the one of jonah comeing over the hill :D

Some really nice photos in there Gillian....love the swans and seagulls.... :wub: :wub: Jonah is looking well :wub: but where is Muffin ? on that hill shot...

Last edited by a moderator:
Janimal said:
Some really nice photos in there Gillian....love the swans and seagulls.... :wub:   :wub:   Jonah is looking well :wub:   but where is Muffin ? on that hill shot...
Muffin stayed at home with Richard as I didn't think mum would cope with both whippets while I was at the football with dad! :- " He had a wonderful time on his own with Richard and was able to run about in the garden to his heart's content chasing his ball on a rope, without Jonah butting in! :lol: But you could tell he was pleased to see Jonah when we got back so maybe he does love him after all! :D :wub:

Yes I agree ...actually a bit of absence does them good... :huggles: :) we often take Archie out on his own for his.. 'me space'.. :) its not often Oscar and Kobi are apart, and when we for instance take one to the vets ....they make a big fuss on the return home. :huggles:

I love seeing shots from the different parts of the UK that K9 members visit or live. Do you ever get homesick for Cardiff or have you been away too long now?

I went down to the New Forest and Southampton for the Bank Holiday,(Mick was working nights and sleeping in the day -_- ). I grew up in that area so enjoy going back from time to time.

Southampton has changed so much too...from a working docklands town into a trendy harbour/quays town. Some of the changes are horrible :( , others quite nice.

I took the boys with me. I'll have to try and post some photos this week. We camped in a friend's field.....it was great. :p I'm glad to hear Muffin was pleased to see Jonah again....they always look like they get on well whenever we meet up. :)

Nicola said:
I love seeing shots from the different parts of the UK that K9 members visit or live. Do you ever get homesick for Cardiff or have you been away too long now?
I went down to the New Forest and Southampton for the Bank Holiday,(Mick was working nights and sleeping in the day -_- ). I grew up in that area so enjoy going back from time to time.

Southampton has changed so much too...from a working docklands town into a trendy harbour/quays town. Some of the changes are horrible :( , others quite nice.

I took the boys with me. I'll have to try and post some photos this week. We camped in a friend's field.....it was great.  :p I'm glad to hear Muffin was pleased to see Jonah again....they always look like they get on well whenever we meet up. :)

Glad you had a nice break, Nicola. :thumbsup:

We moved away from Cardiff in 1991 and I said that I wasn't interested in moving back. But as time goes on, I think I would quite like living there again as long as I could pick the right area! :- " I didn't want to come back to Derbyshire this time at all - it was nice that I was able to pick up with an old friend who I haven't seen for a while - it was just like old times. :)

My great-grandfather's brother was mayor of Southampton - we have a commemorative trowel that he used to lay the foundation stone of the new Town Hall in the 1870s! He was called John Blount Thomas .

Great pics :thumbsup: - my son and I went down to Cardiff for the day recently and absolutely loved it - enjoyed the open top bus tour and walking round the bay, and obviously, my son LOVED the Dr Who exhibition. :- " :*

I had never been to Cardiff before and was most impressed with it's lively, buzzy, modern feel :thumbsup: - and that's from someone who usually hates cities and just loves the country. :- "

Here's Cody looking very impressed with the size of his knickerbocker glory! :p

Cody_Cardiff_icecream_Aug07.jpg

Zephyr said:
Great pics :thumbsup:   - my son and I went down to Cardiff for the day recently and absolutely loved it - enjoyed the open top bus tour and walking round the bay, and obviously, my son LOVED the Dr Who exhibition. :- "  :*
I had never been to Cardiff before and was most impressed with it's lively, buzzy, modern feel :thumbsup:   - and that's from someone who usually hates cities and just loves the country. :- "

Here's Cody looking very impressed with the size of his knickerbocker glory! :p

People seem to like Cardiff. :) It's difficult sometimes to appreciate your home town, but saying that, it has changed dramatically even in the 16 years since I lived there!! Glad you all enjoyed your visit. :cheers: I only realised too late that the Dr Who exhibition was there - my parents didn't think to tell me. :- "

Beautiful photo,we don't know how lucky we are,there are such gorgeous places,pity you get the "ones" that spoilt it.

Some great photos there Gillian, glad you had a good time. Did you win the football then? I asked John but he can't remember!

I sometimes take the dogs out on their own too, absence makes the heart grow fonder after all :D they love each other when they are reunited....for about 5 minutes anyway :lol:

jezza said:
Some great photos there Gillian, glad you had a good time. Did you win the football then? I asked John but he can't remember!
I sometimes take the dogs out on their own too, absence makes the heart grow fonder after all  :D   they love each other when they are reunited....for about 5 minutes anyway  :lol:

No we lost! :( But Richard's Leeds Utd beat Nottingham Forest - I'm sure John won't need reminding of that! :- " :lol:

gilliwigs said:
jezza said:
I sometimes take the dogs out on their own too, absence makes the heart grow fonder after all  :D   they love each other when they are reunited....for about 5 minutes anyway  :lol:

:lol: :lol:

No we lost! :( But Richard's Leeds Utd beat Nottingham Forest - I'm sure John won't need reminding of that! :- " :lol:

Back