The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Grace Has A Bad Back Advice On Muscle Building

graciepup

Registered
Reaction score
Grace was involved in a very traumatic accident as a puppy.She is six this year and has always had trouble with her back since the accident.But its worse this year.She is on cortaflex powder and inflamex which definately helps.She has lost weight recently which was intentional but now she does not have the fat and muscle around the spine that she had.I now wonder if the spine would be more stable if she were stronger in her back muscles and a little fatter??? :blink: My question is how do I build up her back muscles and do I feed her a bit more to help create the muscle she needs when exercising her.When I worked as a groom I worked the horses up hill at a slow walk to build back muscles,does anyone know if this would work on a dog??Obviously I would not be riding Grace (w00t) .Any suggestions welcome.The picture is of Grace last summer when she was a bit fatter and less trouble with her back.I have also bought an excellent heat pad from boots its a square one that wraps over her back its brill :thumbsup:

clairescamera331.jpg

my greyhound used to have athrits in his spine and the main advice given was keep his weight down carrying exces weight 24 7 is the worst thing for a dog with a bad back. have you tryed swimmingtheres lots of centers opening up

wendy

Hi there!

i was going to suggest swimming therapy for her also.

i have a vet nurse friend who does this from her own home for clients - if you want to contact me i could pass on her details to you as i am sure she will know where your nearest place may be

xx

Thanks both for the swimming suggestion but we tried it.Grace is terrified of water and was so distressed that the therapy lady thought Grace would do more damage by trying to make her do it than helping her.She also has a heart problem and the vet was worried that she could have a heart attack as her heart rate was scarily high!!!She does get very upset about things.Bless her.But thanks anyway :thumbsup:

Back