The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Getting dog neutered

laura301091

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, we have a JRT who is 1 and a half. We want to get him neutered and I was just wanting some general advice such as how long will it take? Will he need to stay overnight at the vets? Will he need someone around for a few days after? I'm hoping if I get him booked for a Friday then I'll be there all day Saturday and Sunday and hopefully he'll be alright to be alone on the Monday? If not I have a week off soon so just wondering should I leave it until then?

Thanks for any help

What is the problem, why does he need to be neutered?

Easy external operation, should be home the same day, may be a little stiff for a coulpe of days and will be fine to leave alone by monday. Our dogs recover extremely quickly from these simple procedures and he will be back to normal in a very short time.

Is he a confident dog? Does he cock his leg when he pees?

These are questions to ask before neutering. The testosterone from their testicles gives them confidence. Cocking their leg indicates that they are sexually mature.

Sometimes the testosterone causes all sorts if nuisance behaviours like running after bitches and challenging male dogs. It is better to neuter a dog like this. If, however, he is a bit of wimp and shows nervousness around other dogs (this can manifest as barking at them) then it may be better to wait or not do it all. Of course you must be a responsible owner and make sure he never manages to add to the dog population!

It is a straightforward. routine, operation. He will have a pre med when he is admitted and then a general anaesthetic for the op. This may make him dopey when you pick him up later in the day. Usually, by the next day, they feel fine but need to be lead walked while the stitches dissolve (or are taken out).

Some dogs bother their stitches and so need to wear the plastic cone to prevent them getting to them. This is more nuisance than anything! Some vets will want to do a post op check after a couple of days. This is usually included in the cost of the op.

Yea he is cocking his leg when he pees and appears to be confident enough. He is starting to lunge at other dogs when we are out and wants to chase some. The vet recommended we get him neutered because he is starting to mature and we don't want him to become aggressive. That's good then , I was worried he'd need some supervision for a good few days after.

It's a relatively quick recovery for a dog (as opposed to a bitch), and aside from being a bit sleepy and uncomfortable he would be back to normal within a couple of days. If he were mine though, I would certainly have him done like you said when you can be there i.e the weekend. They often take comfort in having their owner around (even if they go off to be by themselves), and if there are any complications (which would be extremely rare), you would be in a position to spot these early and seek veterinary advice.

Back