The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Getting Back In The Game

poacherspocket

Registered
Reaction score
Im just getting back into ferreting maybe lamping....used to be into it big time but stopped with work and family commitments, but now the boys are older i want them out and about instead of joy-riding like most of the kids.

I was just wondering what the new hunting laws are and how they affect the hunter. I used to ferret, lamp, course and dig foxes

:cheers:

poacherspocket said:
Im just getting back into ferreting maybe lamping....used to be into it big time but stopped with work and family commitments, but now the boys are older i want them out and about instead of joy-riding like most of the kids.     I was just wondering what the new hunting laws are and how they affect the hunter. I used to ferret, lamp, course and dig foxes

:cheers:

Hi, al you need to do my mate, if thers land you fancy working, then go knock on the landowners door and ask for permission, go looking smart, and if he grants you permission, get it in writing, does this answer your question

keith

Cheers, im ok with the permision....luckily picked up the permission i had ten years ago...was thinking more along the lines of what the new laws mean to my kind of hunting, would hate to try and teach the kids right from wrong and get us all pinched for doing someth :- " ing illegal

ill attempt to find you a copy of the written permission , you should carry it at all times when with your dogs, just in case :thumbsup: just not worth the hassle of bringing troubles onto yourself :thumbsup:

Anyone working a lurcher should have written permission fromthe landownerto hunt legal quarry and carry it with them when out hunting.Note too that the police have a wide ranging powers to confiscate vehicles, dogs and other property if you are ,or have been, illegally hunting.From the Countryside Alliance's Hunting Handbook . Happy Hunting from Lady p. :thumbsup:

How to undertake legal hunting activities with lurchers and other gaze hounds

It is illegal to participate in, attend, facilitate or permit land to be used for a competitive hare coursing event – which is defined as a competition in which dogs are, by the use of live hares, assessed as to skill in hunting hares. Coursing as a form of hunting, i.e. lurcher coursing is also banned unless it is exempt. Coursing is also explicitly forbidden under the general exemption for field trials of dogs involved in shooting.

However, much traditional lurcher work will remain unchanged, providing the quarry is a rabbit or rat, and flushing a hare with two dogs before it is shot will still remain legal. You can still go lamping, ferreting or bushing for rabbits. However if your dog inadvertently starts chasing a hare you must make every effort to stop the pursuit immediately.

People who want to work their dogs to hare can use them to flush the quarry out of covert on the condition that it is then shot as soon as possible by a competent person rather than killed by the dogs.

Rabbits can be hunted or coursed in any fashion and rabbit burrows can be legally stopped.

Anyone working lurchers should have the written permission from the landowner to hunt legal quarry, (i.e. rabbits and rats) and carry it with them when out hunting. Proof of Insurance, i.e. Countryside Alliance membership, should also be carried. A good relationship with landowners, farmers and gamekeepers must be maintained at all times. Note too that the police have wide-ranging powers to confiscate vehicles, dogs and other property if they suspect you are, or have been, illegally hunting.

Anyone killing a hare by flushing to a gun(s)with two dogs must be in possession of a Game Licence – these are available from Post Offices at a cost of £6.00.

hope this is of some help :thumbsup:

thats helped loads....but what a sickener with the hares. theres no better site than a running dog on a hare, whether its caught or not...such a shame my boys will never see it :- " not much a fan of guns, watching a dog work does it for me, and its a lot more sporting and sorts the strong from the week in a way no gun could

found this too

Taken from Countryside Alliance website.

Name (applicant): ................................................................................

I (owner / occupier): ................................................................................

Address: ................................................................................

Tel: ........

authorise the above to control foxes and other wild mammals in accordance with Schedule 1, Paragraph 2 of the Hunting Act 2004, which is summarised below.

Signed: ..............................................................

Dated: ...............................................

This permits the use of a single dog below ground to flush out wild mammals solely for the purpose of preventing or reducing serious damage to game birds or wild birds being kept or preserved to be shot.

The person must carry with them written permission and intend to shoot the wild mammal as soon as possible after it is flushed.

All reasonable steps must be taken to prevent risk or injury to the dog and manner in which the dog is used must comply with the following code:

• The terrier’s role is to locate and flush the animal, not to fight with it

• Only terriers which stand back and bark are to be used

• Care must be taken to ensure the safety of those involved and to minimise the risk of injury to either the terrier or the wild mammal

• The terrier’s time below ground must be kept as short as possible

• The terrier must always be fitted with an electronic locator

• Once it is determined the terrier is trapped, assistance must be given to release it immediately

Notes: Nothing other than nets may be placed over entrance / exit holes during the flushing. It is not permitted to use a terrier to locate, dig down to and locate the quarry. But if the dog is removed, relocated, secured and not used again, then the quarry may be dug down to and dispatched.

The hunting of rabbits and rats is exempt from the above, but does require the landowner or occupier’s permission.

Cheers posh, what is it with all this gun stuff?? :rant: at least i can go ferreting, cant wait to get my dog :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

sadly thems the rules!!! thank our delightful government (w00t)

posh totty said:
sadly thems the rules!!! thank our delightful government  (w00t)

yep...we are so lucky to have a goverment like ours, so good that even though our nhs, education and crimerates arent that much of a problem they can find time to stop a dog doing its job.....sooo lucky :- " :- "

technically you do need written permission but you do not need to carry it with you when out with the dogs, i have been told this by the local rural patrol in my area, the only thing are are really hot on is illegal coursing and running more than one dog on a rabbit at any given time. :- " digging foxes is also still legal if protecting game birds on a shoot.

Last edited by a moderator:
thewarrener said:
technically you do need written permission but you do not need to carry it with you when out with the dogs, i have been told this by the local rural patrol in my area, the only thing are are really hot on is illegal coursing and running more than one dog on a rabbit at any given time.  :- " digging foxes is also still legal if protecting game birds on a shoot.
so two dogs cant chase one rabbit? :(

poacherspocket said:
thewarrener said:
technically you do need written permission but you do not need to carry it with you when out with the dogs, i have been told this by the local rural patrol in my area, the only thing are are really hot on is illegal coursing and running more than one dog on a rabbit at any given time.  :- " digging foxes is also still legal if protecting game birds on a shoot.

coarse they can, :p but who would want two dogs on one rabbit :D mark

markbrick said:
poacherspocket said:
thewarrener said:
technically you do need written permission but you do not need to carry it with you when out with the dogs, i have been told this by the local rural patrol in my area, the only thing are are really hot on is illegal coursing and running more than one dog on a rabbit at any given time. :- " digging foxes is also still legal if protecting game birds on a shoot.

coarse they can, :p but who would want two dogs on one rabbit :D mark

i was just wondering how you would avoid it when walking 2 dogs together, would of been a tricky one. :- "

when walking two dogs looseits hard to avoid, but when lamping i dont like doing it we all have our own ways with ours dogs some work some dont :D i wish you and your son the best of times in the field,mark

Back