The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Food

wellybob

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am having a headache feeding my whippet on complete food alone, he is 7month old and has been used to a mix of tined and dried food, I feed him on berrimans puppy food but am finding I have to put a small amount of tinned puppy food or bits of pilchards or the like to tempt him else wise it is left till the end of the day when he will eat some but not after driving us mad crying at the cupboard door where the fod is kept !! if we do feed a mix is 3/4 complete and 1/4 tined ok ? Any suggestions please. Wellybob. PS would like to post a photo but not shure how to do it yet quite a novice at this computering !!

Hi everyone, I am having a headache feeding my whippet on complete food alone, he is 7month old and has been used to a mix of tined and dried food, I feed him on berrimans puppy food but am finding I have to put a small amount of tinned puppy food or bits of pilchards or the like to tempt him else wise it is left till the end of the day when he will eat some but not after driving us mad crying at the cupboard door where the fod is kept !! if we do feed a mix is 3/4 complete and 1/4 tined ok ? Any suggestions please. Wellybob. PS would like to post a photo but not shure how to do it yet quite a novice at this computering !!
I have Toddy (7 months) on 2 meals of Iams puppy twice a day. Although you are not supposed to add anything but water I do the following

Weigh the amount for the day and put aside.

BREAKFAST 1 wheetabix with water and a touch of milk (to colour) warmed in the microwave, I then add 1/3 of his daily feed to the fairly wet solution

DINNER The rest of his feed with water and a touch of milk to colour.

Aparently dogs should not really be given cows milk and Toddy would eat his without so I am heading that way.

Technically, complete meals should not be added to in any way. Both vets and manufacturers advice. If you are giving dog meat, you should only serve it with biscuit mixer.

Try reducing the amount of meat you add gradually down to a teaspoon and then discontinue altogether in a few weeks. My whippets are so greedy and will eat anything, it is quite funny to come across a fussy whippet.

Good luck

Eve

Hiya,

My two are 7 months old and I feed them James Wellbeloved Junior (not puppy) twice a day with a bit of warm water which makes it smell more appetising. They eat it all up but I worry they get bored so they get leftovers as well on some days (providing its been a fairly healthy meal ;) ). I give them a bit more than it advises on the packet of JW as they get a bit ribby on the recommended amount for their weight (they are tall whippies - 15kg each already!). I figure as whips don't store fat and they aren't getting over weight they are on the correct amount.

As for pics, join www.photobucket.com and follow the easy instructions to upload your pics. Once uploaded, at the bottom of each photo are a list of codes - if you click the 'IMG' (the lowest one) code it automatically copies the pic and you just paste the link on your post on K9. :luck:

PS Where are you Wellybob and where did you get your whippet/ what's his breeding? - we like to know these things to work out if any of ours are related!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi if he is crying at the cupboard door he is hungary so i would feed him more imo, you can not overfeed a dog in their first 12 months they are growing and some will will eat little and some will eat alot, my dogs are fed on a raw diet supplemented with complete in their first year,it does not matter if you feed the 2 together i have used this method for all my dogs and they have been fine plus if he will not eat his complete without meat surely he is sending signals to say he does not like complete by it self, these pups dont come with a manual with feeding being an exact science it is very subjective and you will find your own way that suits but my best advice would be to listen to the dog, go to your butcher ask for pet mince stick it in a dish and see what happens, i will lay money that he clears up and will grow and glow with clean teeth and breath and a shiny coat, but in the end it is your decision

good luck

Hi, mine are very fussy, the only complete dry they will eat happily is Orijen, which is very high quality, 70% meat kibble. It is quite pricey but the only food I have fed which actually puts weight on- they are very active. I buy online from zooplus, you cant buy in the shops.

They also enjoy raw tripe...bet your pup cannot resist, and raw meaty lamb rib bones.

Your pup will be fine on a mix of complete and canned, if it suits you to feed that, as long as both are complete foods. I have been told NEVER to mix raw with kibble, it is hard to digest and may give them diahorrea.

Its best to feed to appetite in 2-3 meals a day for your pup, unless you notice him getting fat, (very unlikely in a pup)

Good luck, hope to see some pics soon :)

HELP :(

The last reply has me worried. I have loads of experience of adult whippets but none with puppies.

Toddy was really thin when he arrived he weighed 10 KG 10 days ago and still weighs the same. All his ribs are showing clearly, STILL!

I am feeding him IAMS puppy as instructed on the packet (the max for that weight). He also has a wheetabix at breakfast.

He is ravenous and constantly on the scavange. Always looking for more even after feeding.

I asked at my Vets yesterday when I weighed him if I was feeding enough following instructions and they said YES.

He was wormed a week ago (no worms). He is a very active puppy.

I THINK I AM STARVING HIM.

AM I SAFE TO INCREASE HIS FEED ?

IF SO, BY HOW MUCH?

Please can I have replies from members who have a lot of experience in raising whippet puppies.

Thanks Eve :unsure: :sweating:

HELP :( The last reply has me worried. I have loads of experience of adult whippets but none with puppies.

Toddy was really thin when he arrived he weighed 10 KG 10 days ago and still weighs the same. All his ribs are showing clearly, STILL!

I am feeding him IAMS puppy as instructed on the packet (the max for that weight). He also has a wheetabix at breakfast.

He is ravenous and constantly on the scavange. Always looking for more even after feeding.

I asked at my Vets yesterday when I weighed him if I was feeding enough following instructions and they said YES.

IF SO, BY HOW MUCH?

Please can I have replies from members who have a lot of experience in raising whippet puppies.

Heya Eve ........ don't panic!

Toddy will be needing more than just puppy food at 7 months old. He is in a very active growing stage and you will be able to feed him alot more at the moment.

Even my adult whippies get three meals/snacks a day. Breakfast, elevenses and dinner in the evening.

His ribs should show, under his muscle, when he moves and not otherwise. It is ok to have a pronounced end rib IMO but I would not like to see any other ribs showing whilst he is standing still. You should be able to feel his individual ribs under flesh and the same with his backbone.

Why not try a raw diet as suggested above by Masta? Pet mince from your butcher (all the offcuts and offal minced up :D ) or green tripe (available frozen from pet shops or on line). Raw chicken wings (previously frozen to avoid bacteria) are great for a mid morning snack and the weetabix at breakfast is ok ....... with some goats milk.

The rule of thumb is to feed 2% of their expected adult body weight but every whippet will differ and you have to use your own judgement as to how much is suitable. In Toddy's case he could probably use a bit more until he starts to cover his ribs :thumbsup:

Good luck ......... he'll be fine!!!! Let him have the food he needs to grow and he won't look for more :thumbsup: ...... although he will still scavenge, lol :lol: :lol: that's whippets for you!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Whilst most manufactures do not recommend adding anything to their complete kibble there are a few who are starting to move away from this. There are three that I know of but can only think of two at the moment. They are James Wellbeloved and Burns. Both say on the tins by how much to decrease the dry food if you are using it as a topper.

Vets often get whippet feeding a bit mixed up from what I've read on here, not taking into account the whippets unique physique and metabolism. I've also read that they sometimes use a chart which shows whippets to be ideal weight when they are actually a bit underweight. As others have said, look at your dogs ribs for instructions! As I said earlier, I feed mine a bit more than the packet says, and at 7 months they are on Junior food, not puppy. Jinnyfizz's 2% rule, which I've not heard before, is very reassuring as mine get 300g of JW Junior a day (plus scraps) and weigh 15kg. :thumbsup: The packet says about 250g for dogs the size of mine so you have to use common sense as well as following instructions! BTW mine are big whippets (bred from working stock) so don't be thinking yours should weigh the same as mine cos mine are mahoosive giant pups! :)

Vets often get whippet feeding a bit mixed up from what I've read on here, not taking into account the whippets unique physique and metabolism. I've also read that they sometimes use a chart which shows whippets to be ideal weight when they are actually a bit underweight. As others have said, look at your dogs ribs for instructions! As I said earlier, I feed mine a bit more than the packet says, and at 7 months they are on Junior food, not puppy. Jinnyfizz's 2% rule, which I've not heard before, is very reassuring as mine get 300g of JW Junior a day (plus scraps) and weigh 15kg. :thumbsup: The packet says about 250g for dogs the size of mine so you have to use common sense as well as following instructions! BTW mine are big whippets (bred from working stock) so don't be thinking yours should weigh the same as mine cos mine are mahoosive giant pups! :)
Thanks for the great advice. Iams is a Junior/ Puppy food. I will up his food to 220g per day for now. That is an increase of 1/3 and I will see how things go. He will of course still get his wheetabix breakfast (without cows milk) and his bickies at suppertime. His build is medium and he is definately not going to be 19KG like my last dog Peat. I would expect him to be about 16KG fully grown.

Thanks again

eve :luck: :))

HELP :( The last reply has me worried. I have loads of experience of adult whippets but none with puppies.

IF SO, BY HOW MUCH?

as i said i my previous post please feed him more if he is asking he is a puppy and is telling you he NEEDS more if the scales say hes not putting weight he needs more, it is perfectly safe he will eat until he is full just like we do

i have 5 whippets that i work race and lure course all winners and fit, and i feed to appeitite i watch my dogs eating every day and adjust their feed as i feel fit i have dogs who are greedy and picky eaters they are all different but when they are growing they are fed to appetite, vets are useless when it comes to nutrition its impossible to know every breed so they tend to give generic advice, if you dont like the idea of feeding raw buy some tinned meat and supplement his dry mix but please give him more because he sounds as though he requires it

Hi, mine are very fussy, the only complete dry they will eat happily is Orijen, which is very high quality, 70% meat kibble. It is quite pricey but the only food I have fed which actually puts weight on- they are very active. I buy online from zooplus, you cant buy in the shops.
They also enjoy raw tripe...bet your pup cannot resist, and raw meaty lamb rib bones.

Your pup will be fine on a mix of complete and canned, if it suits you to feed that, as long as both are complete foods. I have been told NEVER to mix raw with kibble, it is hard to digest and may give them diahorrea.

Its best to feed to appetite in 2-3 meals a day for your pup, unless you notice him getting fat, (very unlikely in a pup)

Good luck, hope to see some pics soon :)
"I have been told NEVER to mix raw with kibble, it is hard to digest and may give them diahorrea."

The manufacturers make this claim why? because most dogs prefer meat and if mixed will start to pick the meat out and leave the kibble,

A dog has a unsacculated colon with a short fore gut designed to digest their food quickly eating kibble and meat together would not be a problem, i know as i have done this many times without any adverse incident

I have Toddy (7 months) on 2 meals of Iams puppy twice a day. Although you are not supposed to add anything but water I do the following

Weigh the amount for the day and put aside.

BREAKFAST 1 wheetabix with water and a touch of milk (to colour) warmed in the microwave, I then add 1/3 of his daily feed to the fairly wet solution

DINNER The rest of his feed with water and a touch of milk to colour.

Aparently dogs should not really be given cows milk and Toddy would eat his without so I am heading that way.

Technically, complete meals should not be added to in any way. Both vets and manufacturers advice. If you are giving dog meat, you should only serve it with biscuit mixer.

Try reducing the amount of meat you add gradually down to a teaspoon and then discontinue altogether in a few weeks. My whippets are so greedy and will eat anything, it is quite funny to come across a fussy whippet.

Good luck

Eve

Hiya,My two are 7 months old and I feed them James Wellbeloved Junior (not puppy) twice a day with a bit of warm water which makes it smell more appetising. They eat it all up but I worry they get bored so they get leftovers as well on some days (providing its been a fairly healthy meal ;) ). I give them a bit more than it advises on the packet of JW as they get a bit ribby on the recommended amount for their weight (they are tall whippies - 15kg each already!). I figure as whips don't store fat and they aren't getting over weight they are on the correct amount.

As for pics, join www.photobucket.com and follow the easy instructions to upload your pics. Once uploaded, at the bottom of each photo are a list of codes - if you click the 'IMG' (the lowest one) code it automatically copies the pic and you just paste the link on your post on K9. :luck:

PS Where are you Wellybob and where did you get your whippet/ what's his breeding? - we like to know these things to work out if any of ours are related!

Hiya,My two are 7 months old and I feed them James Wellbeloved Junior (not puppy) twice a day with a bit of warm water which makes it smell more appetising. They eat it all up but I worry they get bored so they get leftovers as well on some days (providing its been a fairly healthy meal ;) ). I give them a bit more than it advises on the packet of JW as they get a bit ribby on the recommended amount for their weight (they are tall whippies - 15kg each already!). I figure as whips don't store fat and they aren't getting over weight they are on the correct amount.

Hi there, Jovi is a fawn brindle whippet we got him from Winsford Cheshire, his pedigree is Shardbeck I will send a photo when I figure out how to !!

Wellybob

Hi there, Jovi is a fawn brindle whippet we got him from Winsford Cheshire, his pedigree is Shardbeck I will send a photo when I figure out how to !!
Wellybob
If you are anywhere near Widnes there's a decent training class in one of the community centres which might be useful for helping to socalise Jovi. Mine were terrified the first time but trot in quite happily now and we've only been going for about ten weeks. There are 3 whippets there including my two, among every other kind of dog you can think of! :thumbsup:

Back