The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Floyd's Eye And Funny Noises

Lise

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Floyd's left eye, as you look at him, is a bit weepy, before I take him to the vet and other than wiping it with a bit of cotton wool and water is there anything I can do, and any ideas? Also sometimes, especially when we take him on a little walk, he starts so sniff in and out, it' more than a little sniff, it's more like a small snort, as though he has a fly or dust in his nose, I have checked but it seems clear? Also what kind of weight should he be at 19 weeks, I look at some pics on here and think his chest and shoulders look a bit boney :(

sorry to keep picking your brains but I am a complete whippet novice.

Here's another picture, that, i hasten to add, is not my hairy knee!

Lise

Floyd_067.jpg

He might be a bit hay-fevery if it is only watering and the snorting sounds like reverse sneezing which Whippets seems to do quite a lot. If, when he is doing it, you put a finger & thumb either side of his windpipe right up where his lower jaw joins his neck and squeeze gently to make him swallow, he will stop.

No advice sorry - just to say what a gorgeous picture of Floyd :wub: :wub:

Pups do for ever stick their noses where they should not! And get stuff in their eyes. Yesterday we had some sand delivered and the dogs had a great time in it. Madelaine got it in her eyes, which became bit red and weepy. In such a circumstances I use eye drops from chemist, just to wash the eyes out. This usually clears the problem. If not I would get an eye ointment from my vet.

:luck:

Lida

He is sooo gorgeous. Have you said some where what he breeding is? Just being nosey, but he really is stunning.

I have read several places that cold tea is good for runny eyes, and my little one used to get conjunctivits a lot when she was little which meant lots of trips to the vet for eye drops/cream, but in the end it was the cold tea that got rid of it, I think it must have some antiseptic properties.

You're getting good at the picture business. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ours had a bit of a weepy eye this week, almost certain it was a nettle sting (the nettles are taller than me on most of our favourite walks at the moment). It didn't seem to bother him too much and cleared up in a couple of days.

dessie said:
reverse sneezing which Whippets seems to do quite a lot.  If, when he is doing it, you put a finger & thumb either side of his windpipe right up where his lower jaw joins his neck and squeeze gently to make him swallow, he will stop.
Yes, ours does this a lot, it can sound quite alarming, but that trick sorts it out.

moriarte said:
dessie said:
reverse sneezing which Whippets seems to do quite a lot.  If, when he is doing it, you put a finger & thumb either side of his windpipe right up where his lower jaw joins his neck and squeeze gently to make him swallow, he will stop.
Yes, ours does this a lot, it can sound quite alarming, but that trick sorts it out.

mine does this too, especially when we are in the field and i did wonder if it was a sort of hay fever.

one day he was doing it really bad, quite upsetting for me, but he was perfectly ok still running around.

when we got home i noticed his nose was really snotty, and saw something lurking in his nose.

on a close up inspection i could see it was a blade of grass and when i pulled it out it was about 8 cm long!

poor baby, how he managed to do that i dont know. ! :huggles:

Aw thanks,

He is from Bentworth, and his kennel name is Trenthyde Gareth, his Mum who we met as well as his Granny, is Trenthyde Florence, and Granny is Nimrodel India. His Dad is Devonsown Countryman. Some of the names are underlined in red on his ped. cert., I am not sure what this means. He was the smallest of his litter and I just fell in love, the lcouple we got him from said he wouldn't show, but I just wanted a lovely natured pet and that is what I have got, having said that I wold like to take a look at whippet racing!

Lise

OEH said:
He is sooo gorgeous.  Have you said some where what he breeding is?  Just being nosey, but he really is stunning.I have read several places that cold tea is good for runny eyes, and my little one used to get conjunctivits a lot when she was little which meant lots of trips to the vet for eye drops/cream, but in the end it was the cold tea that got rid of it, I think it must have some antiseptic properties.

You're getting good at the picture business. :thumbsup:

Back