The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Floyd Food Update

Lise

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to be a pest, but I gave up on mixing "james well beloved complete food" in with his tripe, the little terror just flicked dired stuff out insearch for tripe, so i just give him a 1/3rd of green tripe block each meal (3 meals as instructed by the lady I got him from). Is this enough now I am not including the dried complete food?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Lise & Floyd

PS we joined a dog training club run by kennel club last night, it's as much for me as Floyd, I am a soft touch and need to learn some discipline skills.

Lisa, tripe alone is not a balanced feed. Tripe with a mixer biscuit (small meal is harder to pick out ) and a vitamin supplament should balance it out. :thumbsup:

Think there is a good thread Lise on FAQ on Feeding :thumbsup: :luck:

Crikey, went on the threads about feeding and there is so much info. I am still not sure what to do, I will carry on with tripe and try and add a mixer and vit supplement in, what type and where do I get dog vitamins from? and any ideas for a good mixer?

Thanks

Lise

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, there is an incredible amount of info on feeding.

If you are going to go the natural route, then along with the tripe he should have some plain wholemeal mixer (Laughing Dog) is the best. Ask in your local pet shop. For 'dogs vitamins' the best source is pure kelp seaweed powder as this contains 37 minerals and vitamins and it is all natural so much more easily assimilated by the body then a synthetic alternative. Or you could use Keepers Mix from Dorwest, this has 20% kelp seaweed powder and another 7 herbs which all help keep the organs and body functioning well and is ideal for a natural diet.

You should also give him some fresh veggies which need to me pulverised in a blender, also some other type of meat is required. Mine have some offal occasionally and also instead of plain tripe mine get a beef and tripe mix. Also mine have chicken wings most days which is very important for the calcium.

I also give mine wheatgerm oil occasionally and sardines at least once a week - now that is a nice smell sardines and tripe :x

I know it sounds complicated, but remember that fresh is always best and a varied diet will result in a healthy dog :thumbsup:

Hi All,

Yet again thank you for your ideas, I am deffo going to try and vary his diet, he seems to have the food attention span of a gnat, and while I don't want to spoil him too much, I think it will enhance his health and overall well being if he has lots of lovely meals to look forward to. With the chicken wings ,which bit shall I give him, and he won't choke??? I noticed he has lost a baby tooth at the front, one of his inscisors (the big pointy ones at the front 4 in all, 2 top and 2 bottom).

Lise said:
Hi All, Yet again thank you for your ideas, I am deffo going to try and vary his diet, he seems to have the food attention span of a gnat, and while I don't want to spoil him too much, I think it will enhance his health and overall well being if he has lots of lovely meals to look forward to. With the chicken wings ,which bit shall I give him, and he won't choke??? I noticed he has lost a baby tooth at the front, one of his inscisors  (the big pointy ones at the front 4 in all, 2 top and 2 bottom).

He shouldnt choke on the wings Lise - but do supervise - I cut the wings with strong scissors into 2 bits at the wing joint. Kobi has even swallowed them whole - but they dont stay there long when he does that :x :x (w00t)

Back