The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Fighting

OWD'UN

Registered
Reaction score
forgive my ignorance, but, I've just been reading the post about fighting, what exactly constitutes fighting?

I've worked lurchers since I was a lad, and I know what my idea of fighting is, but what does it mean as regards whippet racing? I've been down to watch a bit of racing of late and I watched one race and a bloke next to me 'tutted' and said one beast had 'turned in' (think that's what he said) I didn't see nowt...is that 'fighting'?

I know you all know your stuff, so humour me please, for I is a bit thick :D

owd'bum

OWD said:
forgive my ignorance, but, I've just been reading the post about fighting, what exactly constitutes fighting? I've worked lurchers since I was a lad, and I know what my idea of fighting is, but what does it mean as regards whippet racing? I've been down to watch a bit of racing of late and I watched one race and a bloke next to me 'tutted' and said one beast had 'turned in' (think that's what he said) I didn't see nowt...is that 'fighting'?

I know you all know your stuff, so humour me please, for I is a bit thick :D

owd'bum
Hi Owd'un/bum,

fighting when racing is when a whippet turns it's head and has a go at another dog (IMO). It's open to interpretation and people see things differently, I'm sure that somebody will post or have posted the official WCRA rule on here.

Regards,

Scott.

soz, scott :oops:

just read through the relevant thread, and now I can see that it is a 'grey' area...I can see how it causes problems....

I'll climb back in me box and shut up.

owd'bum

Hi Owd'un, Like Scott & yourself have said it's a big grey area and what 1 considers a fighter otheres (normaly including the offending dogs owner) dont see as fighting.

A dog is allowed under the rules to bump another all the way from traps to line and even go so far as to bump another dog into the side netting that is not fighting.

but as soon as a dogf looks accross at another and acutaly makes contact with it's head turned towards another to try and bite it that is (IMO) fighting.

but ask 6 racers and you could get 6 differant answers?.

Back