The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Feeding

Joanna

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just wanted to get an opinion from you clever Whippet folk about feeding.

Generally, adult dogs seem to be fine when fed once a day. Is this true of Whippets too???

Hubby and I were just discussing it, and these chaps are so slim. Do they have enough reserves to keep them going if fed once only?

Also, I am giving Archie two main meals a day at the moment...he is nearly 11 weeks old, he also has some milk at lunch time, and treats for doing "jimmy riddles outside. When can he go to two meals? The milk makes him piddle alot in the afternoon...... :b but he does enjoy it.

Thnks

Jo

At eleven weeks my pups are still on 4 meals aday. My dogs get fed twice a day, some feed only once though. Im no exspert though its up to you how much you feed your dog ;)

My adults get a drink of milk in the morning with a chew after.and their main meal at night about 4-5 oclock . My pup 11weeks old is at present getting four meals a day ,these are all small meals .just as much as she wants really, In the next few weeks I will be reducing it down to three and by the time she is about 9 to 10 months she will be down to 2 , only going on the same diet as the adults when I am happy about her weight and size,I look at my whippets every day to see if they need more/less weight or are about right and adjust there portion accordingly.If I have a bitch due in season I tend to up the males dinner in anticipation of weight loss .! :b The only thing in my opinion worse than an underweight whippet is an overweight one!Pups need to be on the plumper side to develope their spring of rib and to cope with all their playing time! :p Its so much easier if you have a whippet that eats well (Mayzee) than one that just picks (Fleur)Good luck

Hi Jo,I feed all of my Whippets twice a day and they all have either goats milk or lactol daily, regardless of their age (they love it). When I have a puppy I let it dictate (to a certain degree) as to when its hungry,my 8 month old pup is still on 3 meals aday (but there again shes a big girl) :) I just hope she stops growing soon :D otherwise I don't think she'll fit in the traps :0

Hope to see you soon at South Cotswolds

bye for now Hannah

We kept our pup on four small meals a day, and then reduced this to three meals a day when he turned 12 weeks . We plan to reduce his meals down to two a day when he's 6 months or more and leave it as that; one in the morning and the other one early evening. :)

Sarah

Thanks all,

I think Archie may need two meals....He is a hungry dog! I don't want to over-feed him. He currently has two quite substantial meals at either end of the day, I certainly wouldn't call them small, and he scoffs the lot! I do leave him biscuit around, but he picks at them.....He loves his milky though, whole milk, so I hope he is getting a good diet.

Thanks Hannah.....Will visit again when Archie has had his jabs..

Love Jo

Leon is on three meals a day but is ignoring his lunchtime meal so it will be disapearing shortly so we'll see how it goes. He's 5 months almost is this normal ?

Cheers

Steve

Jo, I like the pups new name! My eldest is called ARchie too!

I personally don't think you can really overfeed pups, if you do they will tend to get the runs so you know to cut it down. Don't worry about him getting fat at this age, he really should be on two main meals a day and 2 light meals (scrambled eggs/ goats milk, porridge etc). I would say two meals a day for a pup of that age isn't really enough unless he is a fussy eater. When ARchie was a pup he didn't like any milky meals and therefore went onto just two meaty meals a day from around 3 months as I decided there was no point persisting with the milky meals. Stanley who is just over 4 months, eats for England and always cleans his bowl and therefore I have kept him on 4 meals, if he starts messing about with his food I will start cuttting them out.

Best to give him goats milk rather than cows milk as it is better assimilated. I feed my adult whippet twice a day, but it is really down to personal choice I think. Anyway sounds like Archie is a happy little lad - :D

Jo

My breeder said a raw egg was OK.........Any-one else give them to their dogs? I thought an egg in his milk may boost the protein levels.

Thanks Joe, I find the three meals are keeping him satisfied, he cleans the bowl mostly, and has snacks too.

The toileting is working well.........generally, though I was up at 2.30 this morning to take him out for a poo! He has suddenly developed an aversion to newspaper, and if he does get caught short, prefers my carpet. On the whole, he is going outside. He just needs to learn to tell me as the next phase.....mmmmm, wonder if he can get that clever :8

Jo

I give raw egg with a bit of goats milk and often leave the egg shell in too as this is a good source of organic calcium - mine go mad for eggs. I tend to give scrambled on a cold morning!! Egg is good for putting on a bit of weight too!

Glad to hear the training is going okay, Stanley used to wake me up at about 4am for a wee and then I used to put him back into his cage and he went back to sleep - I think that is really good though, as soon they will be able to sleep through the whole night as they get more in control of their bodily functions! How old is he now??

Jo

I feed my pups 4 meals a day until they no longer want one of the meals. I increase the food that my pups get each meal until they leave a tiny amount. I use that as a guide to whether I've fed them enough or not. As they get towards 11-12 weeks I start to only increase the amount that I feed at 3 of the meals. At some point the 4th meal becomes unnecessary. As a rough guide I would expect a pup to be okay on 3 meals at 12 weeks of age.

Most of my pups have gone onto 3 meals either at 12 weeks or just before. Mouse of course was 14 - 15 weeks. But then this pup can eat!

I always feed my adult dogs 2 meals a day.

As for milk I only feed full fat goats milk to my pups. My dogs love scrambled egg too. I've never had much success at feeding milk and cereal. My lot slurp up the milk and I get a hard to remove stodgy mess of sodden cereal left in the bottom of the dish. Mouse was the first pup that has eaten this. But then Mouse eats anything.

When I met Archie (you've picked a name :D ) he looked fine to me nicely covered. So whatever you are doing is correct. :D Looking forward to seeing Archie growing up.

This board is brilliant!!!!!

I have been to tesco and stocked up on goat's milk (surprisingly inexpensive!) :D

I have also had the brainwave of soaking his biscuits in hot water, and then adding the milk.....Brilliant, no crumbs on the kitchen floor, and he likes it much better, the biscuit bones were very hard.

Archie is now 11 weeks old Joe.

I just popped out for an hour, and came back to find hubby looking sheepish, and the dog covered in wet and mud. He made his first bid for freedom in our large garden. We are just in the process of having some new fencing put in, and only let him out in a small enclosed area until the garden is secure. Hubby left a door open behind him, and Archie was off. Apparently, he went crazy, and did a 90 mile an hour turn on wet leaves, ending up in a heap. Luckily, he came back............boy did he have a good time though!

Thanks for the egg advice, have read they shouldn't have them raw, but our Dobe used to love them, and would always go mad over my slightly out of date fridge clearance eggs, she could eat a dozen at a time. Mind you, I have never known such a glutinous dog. ;)

I think it's just the egg white that you shouldn't feed raw. The yolk is OK.

Im going out tonight with the Whips to see if I can poach some egg whites ;)

Lol Karen........................Watch out for the Game-Keeper :(

It's no yolk if you get caught :w

I'll get my coat :D

I give mine what has been described to me as a "scorched egg", you just break the egg into the feeding bowl then pour on some boiling water, the white cooks almost immediately and the yolk remains raw, once its cooled a bit which doesnt take long they love it

What a great suggestion Joey.....I am going to try it tomorrow (with goat's milk!)

Ahhhh Joey's first post, bless her! :D

Could do worse and ram 4 hard boiled eggs down a puppies neck like I did! Still Diesel was no worse for it, although he did strain a little! :w

Scott. :b

Scott

Joey isn't Mrs F is it :0

Regarding the boiled eggs? he did walk a little stiff for a while :8

Last edited by a moderator:
Back