The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Famous

Spriet

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I've read on another site about famous people with an sighthound.

The only people I know were the Kennedy's (irish wolfdog) and somebody from Holland with an Whippet.

My question is...

Do you know some famous people with an sighthound?

Anne

I've seen a pic of Liv Tyler in a magazine with an Italian Greyhound before :) not strictly sighthounds but nearly :p

the lady from one foot in the grave has 2 or 3 greyhounds. the coloured lady doctour from doctours she was allso in The Bill has a lovly greyhound bitch called grace.

one of the speaclist from bargin hunt the old chubby guy has a lurcher.

Vinny jones and ant and dec have racing greyhounds thats all i can think of off the top of my head and I am crap with names

Brian Sewell has a whippet, and so must Jimmy Hill at some point :unsure: Also Lucien Freud the painterm who has several and painted them many times. I think Angelica Huston had one, I've got a postcard somewhere of her with a whippet curled round her shoulders.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised none of the charities for Greyhound welfare haven't approached the likes of Ant & Dec to help promote their charity.

jezza said:
I've seen a pic of Liv Tyler in a magazine with an Italian Greyhound before  :)   not strictly sighthounds but nearly  :p
thanks!

With sighthound i mean:

Azawakh (Arabian ...? Whats the English name?)

Barzoi (Borzoi in English?)

Afghanhound

Galgo

Greyhound

Italian Greyhound

Whippet

Irish wolfdog

Deerhound

Sloughi,

Saluki

Chart Polski

Magyar Agar

Podenco's

That are all the dogs I mean (In holland this dogs are all sighthounds.. if i'm correct)

Thanks to all..

I's searching for so much information for my (dutch) site.

I shell look in the internet (google) and hope to find these famous people with there dog(s) on a picture!

Thanks!

Anne

fallenangel said:
the lady from one foot in the grave has 2 or 3 greyhounds. the coloured lady doctour from doctours  she was allso in The Bill has a lovly greyhound bitch called grace.one of the speaclist from bargin hunt the old chubby guy has a lurcher.

Vinny jones and ant and dec have racing greyhounds  thats all i can think of off the top of my head and I am crap with names

Who is Vinny Jones may I ask..? And who are, who is Ant and Dec?? Ore is my understanding wrong?

The Lady from one foot in the grave, who's that? (maybe these questions sounds stupid, but I don't know, are they famous in the UK?)

Anne

The lady from One Foot in the Grave is Annette Crosbie and she does a lot of work for greyhound welfare. She even insisted that her dog in the film Calendar Girls was a greyhound, and stunning he was too!

The other lady Wendy mentioned is Jaye Griffiths.

Vinnie Jones was an English footballer and now an actor, allegedly! :rolleyes:

Ant and Dec are, well how do you describe them? Entertainers I suppose.

Most greyhound rescues wouldn't use either Vinnie Jones or Ant and Dec if they race their greyhounds because of the racing connection.

So in Holland are Italian Greyhounds classed as sighthounds? As far as I'm aware they are classed in the toy group over here......

Correct me if I'm wrong guys!! :unsure:

In FCI countries, Italian greyhounds are classified as sighthounds, yes (and rightfully so, in my opinion).

Podencos, podengos, cirnechi and pharaoh hounds (kelb-tal-fenek), however, are classified in group 5 - spitz and primitive types. They used to be classified as sighthounds as well, but apparently they hunt as much by scent as sight.

I believe basenjis and rhodesian ridgebacks are classified as sighthounds in the USA, not so in FCI countries.

Italian Greyhounds are 'Toys' in the UK :( and I can understand why; they were bred as companion dogs for ladies while the men hunted with the full-size versions according to history. So their purpose was as a lapdog and not a hunter.

But I do think of them as little sighthounds too because they take after the 'type' of dog they have been bred from originally.

There was an old 'Agony Aunt' type person who had an Italian. I last remember seeing a photo of her in a dog magazine but I have completely forgotten her name... maybe Mavis something??? She's probably retired now but she was pretty well known. :teehee:

Annette Crosby does fantastic work for greyhound rescue.

There's a greyhound in the 'Daz' advert on telly :lol:

There was an old 'Agony Aunt' type person who had an Italian.  I last remember seeing a photo of her in a dog magazine but I have completely forgotten her name... maybe Mavis something??? 
Katie Boyle had one, can't really remember what it was she used to write about though. It mentions them on her profile

katie boyle

Anne, I'm not absolutely sure who Vinny Jones and Ant and Dec are either (w00t) :wacko: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Amoo Owns Wolfhounds & Afghan Hounds ( But alot of people know that already ?)

Italian Greyhounds are 'Toys' in the UK  and I can understand why; they were bred as companion dogs for ladies while the men hunted with the full-size versions according to history. So their purpose was as a lapdog and not a hunter.
I often wondered why they were classed as a toys, now I know. It makes sense, but I also think of them as small sighthounds! :b

Chris Amoo Owns Wolfhounds & Afghan Hounds
No idea who s/he is..... must go google the name! :b

He & the band " The Real Thing " sang A song That went to Number 1. # Oh you to me are everything

The sweetest song that I could sing

Oh baby, oh baby

Claire said:
He & the  band  " The Real Thing " sang A song That went to Number 1.                # Oh you to me are everything The sweetest song that I could sing

Oh baby, oh baby

carry on claire ive turned up my volume :- "

Claire said:
He & the  band  " The Real Thing " sang A song That went to Number 1.                # Oh you to me are everything The sweetest song that I could sing

Oh baby, oh baby

I did love that song :)

Claire said:

Oh baby, oh baby

And you are even worse!!! Corr! That brings back some memories!

Back