The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Eating Mud.......

*Caz*

Registered
Reaction score
:( our eldest whippet Moss "Gemville lodestar" is just turned 13yrs has started a really weird thing...eating dried bits of mud fell off our boots :blink:

& lat night i caught him scraping off bitt of plaster freshly put up during the day :wacko:

Iknow pups will chew at things like this,but he is well past that stage(or is he) :teehee:

just wondered if any one else has experienced this with their dog,or if he is e

lacking some sort of mineral.........at a bit of a loss at the mo....... :(

sp.....sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
My Whippet pups do generaly start eating brick (still attached to my house ) (w00t) at certain stage, I usually give them some calcium tablets for few days and they stop. It may just be coincidence, though.

All my dogs eat soil. They search the lawn carefully until they find the right spot, then make hole and eat the soil. I wonder if it contains some grubbs, as they are very specific and they seem to concentrate hard.

Mud is bit puzzling, you have not been walking in some manure have you? But plaster of paris is mainly calcium sulphate. I would give him some calcium tablets, I cannot see it doing any harm at his age. Calcium overdose in pups can cause growth abnormalities.

:luck:

:oops: double post

thanks for your answer :)) will get some calcium tabs :thumbsup:

Im a bit worried,because he has never done this before :( in his life....even after ive been in the sheep paddock :- "

Just concerned in case there is something wrong with him.......may phone the vet next week.

THIS POST MADE ME GIGGLE.AS A CHILD I USED TO DO THIS TOO.NOTHING MY MUM DID WOULD STOP ME.SHE WOULD FIND HOLES IN WALLS.EVEN TODAY I LOVE THE SMELL OF FRESH DIRT ESPECIALLY AFTER RAIN FALL. (w00t)

I reckon he's telling you to clean your shoes more often!! (w00t) :oops:

I used to eat mud as a child and it didn't do me any harm :wacko: :teehee: , both my greys eat soil and grass and poo and, well practically everything that's gross :x and they are fine, so I shouldn't worry too much. :)

*Caz* said:
:( our eldest whippet Moss "Gemville lodestar" is just turned 13yrs has started a really weird thing...eating dried bits of mud fell off our boots :blink:   & lat night i caught him scraping off bitt of plaster freshly put up during the day :wacko:

Iknow pups will chew at things like this,but he is well past that stage(or is he) :teehee:

just wondered if any one else has experienced this with their dog,or if he is e

lacking some sort of mineral.........at a bit of a loss at the mo....... :(

both my old dogs would eat the soil from the plant pots outside but i have no idea why

Mine will eat the dried mud off my wellies and it doesn't seem to do them any harm. At the moment, in certain of the fields we walk, they all saunter about concentrating and eating ?? what ?? When I go over to them I can't see anything different from normal but who knows! They have very seasonal tastes my Whippets!!!

My mum's Whippies love eating fresh compost, mine eat just about anything and they both seem fine.

Im sure they are after mineral salts, you could try a horse lick which is a block of salts, dont let them go mad but a little lick and chew will do no harm. There is a lot of salts in bricks and plaster and if you are in a clay soil area they will eat the dried mud for the salts also. All animals need a certain amount of salt in thier diet, have you seen those monkeys licking the rocks.

I had 1 who ate mud Caz .........and my vet told me she was after certain minerals ...........plus he said it'll do her no harm :thumbsup: ..........I added Stress to her diet and she did it no more ;)

Yep,mine love eating mud too :blink:

As for scraping off the plaster, are his teeth & gums ok? Quite often a dog will look to scrape on things when their teeth are dirty!

Thank-you for all your answers :cheers: much apreciated :)) wont worry so much now.......... :teehee:

*Caz* said:
Thank-you for all your answers :cheers:   much apreciated :)) wont worry so much now.......... :teehee:
mine eats soil. he'll scratch and scratch at one particular place on the walk I take him on, and eat the mud all around it.

Back