The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Doggy essentials

DorsetPets

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

New to the website so please bare with me :) .I'm trying to put together a combination of items for dogs owners on my website under the heading "Doggy Essentials". Everyone seems to have slightly different opinions on what should be on the list.

What would you consider the items needed for your dog from a puppy to old age? Oh.. I'm looking for 6 items eg Dog Lead etc.

Thank you in advance and it's great to be part of the forum :)

Sounds a good list, I suppose that would change over time when the dog gets older?

Yeah I guess another good one would be supplements/health care which would be especially important for very young or elderly dogs, maybe flea/ worming treatments too if you sell them?

• Warm, showerproof and breathable lightweight coat with Gortex (or similar) lining, as a traditional winter coat will have you sweating within minutes. The Keela range of coats are very good

A hat and scarf – following the principles of layering, these can easily be removed as you warm up.
Gloves – fingerless are handy for fiddling with the lead or a poo bag, but if it’s just too cold for that, thin sport ones should do the job.
Sturdy, waterproof shoes or boots with a good grip. Again Gortex lined boots are good or you can get some very good neoprene lined wellingtons for very mucky days (you are looking at paying around £100 for boots or wellingtons – Remember it is important to look after your feet) – if you take care of your boots they will last for a long time
Don’t forget your dog may really feel the cold, too – smaller, thin-skinned and short-haired breeds won’t enjoy it at all, so get a suitable and unrestrictive coat. Equafleece coats are very good for dogs of all sizes
Snow, ice and grit can all cause problems for a dog’s feet – petroleum jelly can help prevent that.
If you’re walking in the evening, it gets dark early, so invest in some high visibility or LED gear for you and your dog, and keep a small torch in your pocket
Make sure you have a fully charged phone in case of Emergencies and contact numbers – you may also want to read Your Safety Whilst Out and About – Paws for thought
Don’t allow your dog to pull – if it’s slippery, this could be lethal. There’s no substitute for training, but a gentle anti-pull harness should have an immediate effect and can help reinforce what you teach him – Tip Top Dog School run loose lead workshops
Greetings from me and niko :luck:

Back