The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Dog Neutering

LurcherLizzie

Registered
Reaction score
Hello All,

I browse through this website quite often as I love all the pictures and generally learn something new each time I visit. One thing I have noticed in various posts is that there is a lot of people with unneutered dogs. I just wondered the reason why if you are not going to breed from a dog you do not automatically get it neutered? I am sure this is quite a 'hot topic' so am not inflicting my own opinions, I know all the resons I get it done but would like to hear the other side. :D

Can't answer I'm afraid, any dogs that come here get 'done' immediately. As a rescue rehoming older dogs we see far too many health problems such as prostate problems, testicular cancer and mammary cancers in older entire dogs, I wouldn't take the risk with my own.

all my rescue retired dogs and bitches are done but the ones that still race arent but will be when they retire. thats just my choice and the way i do things but everyone has differnt ideas and opinions of whats right for there dogs

Hot topic ... as you say lol. I did a lot of research into this a while back - at the level of academic papers, veterinary literature etc. - and decided that the risks to long term health and well being of neutering were probably greater than the risks of leaving them entire, at least in their younger years and particularly for dogs, it was less clear cut re. bitches but the stats favoured not neutering before the age of 2 for either sex. Interestingly my vet agreed, but of course not everyone shares that view.

Of course show dogs will usually be left entire even when there is no intention to breed from them and a lot of the dogs on here are shown. I could be wrong but I think you'll find that the dogs with a job to do - show, work, race, etc. - are more likely to be entire than the pets.

Annie

Hot topic ... as you say lol. I did a lot of research into this a while back - at the level of academic papers, veterinary literature etc. - and decided that the risks to long term health and well being of neutering were probably greater than the risks of leaving them entire, at least in their younger years and particularly for dogs, it was less clear cut re. bitches but the stats favoured not neutering before the age of 2 for either sex. Interestingly my vet agreed, but of course not everyone shares that view.
Of course show dogs will usually be left entire even when there is no intention to breed from them and a lot of the dogs on here are shown. I could be wrong but I think you'll find that the dogs with a job to do - show, work, race, etc. - are more likely to be entire than the pets.

Annie
Interesting. I have heard that you should not neuter them before they are fully grown and this I can understand as I presume it can effect their growth/development etc.

I have never raced/worked or shown my dogs so don't understand how it works but regarding showing, are boys 'bits' really judged? Why is it important for them to be entire? Bitches externally are not going to look any different are they?

Like I said in my first post, not judging anyone on what they do with their own dog as it is obvious all people on here love and care for their dogs and that is what is most important. I have always grown up with neutered dogs and have followed on with mine, it is also something we automatically did at the rescue center I worked at so I have not really had any experience with unneutered dogs so wondered about reasons behind it.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Hi

There are a couple of great, long, involved and sometimes heated threads about this in the FAQs.

I have always been a believer in neutering unless you're breeding (a bit impractical to try and breed from a neutered dawg) - but reading those threads did make me think again - I did think again, and I'm still getting our two neutered at about 8 months.

Good luck with your decision

z

My dogs do not cause any problems so I leave them alone, my vet charges £190 to do this op so getting 4 done would be very costly.

all mine are entire bar jay (didnt drop properly )

2 came as adults and 4 as pups

all live together dont cause problems there happy and thats al thatmatters to me

no health problems there all getting on except for two of them( 15 yr 11 yr 8yr 6 yr

£190 thats steep my vet charges £50 for dogs

Both my dog and bitch are neutered. I never had any intention to breed and I found it more convenient than coping with a bitch in season etc. BUT.... i know two people with neutered bitches and they leak urine :( - something to do with lack of oestrogen in their tissues perhaps i think? Luckily mine seems ok so far - she is 7 years old.

Hi
There are a couple of great, long, involved and sometimes heated threads about this in the FAQs.

I have always been a believer in neutering unless you're breeding (a bit impractical to try and breed from a neutered dawg) - but reading those threads did make me think again - I did think again, and I'm still getting our two neutered at about 8 months.

Good luck with your decision

z

(w00t)

Far too young , they are not fully developed at 8 months , Neither in mind or body .

The Vet I work at will not touch a dog till it is at least 18 months- 2 years old and fully mature . or else I wouldnt be working for him

Back