The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Dog Flapa & Crates, N Kongs!

Lise

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I am just preparing for the arrival of our first whippet boy, (Floyd, he will be 4 months) I want to buy a dog flap and cage but I am not sure which size to go for in either, whats the average size in cms whippets grow to, do you measure to the shoulder?

Can anyone advise on good crates to use as a den and that will also be useful for putting in the car.

Also if he gets travel sick?? I think I saw some threads that said human sea sick pills are ok, which? and how much?

And are kongs dangerous, a woman I know said they are?

Also how wide are the collars they wear when they are adults, I have found a site www.mrsbones.com which has lovely collar designs but not sure what width to get.

Thanks

Lise

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lise just at the same point as you, collecting our puppy in few weeks, :D so got a new crate off e-bay, 30'' size, zinc plated with metal tray only £25.50 inc p+p, arrived in 3 days. It's big enough for our 9 yr old child (w00t) !! but you'd have to measure your car boot for size (76 x 54 x 64 cm high)

I'll have to go and look for the seller for you :- "

Lise said:
Hi, I am just preparing for the arrival of our first whippet boy,  (Floyd, he will be 4 months) I want to buy a dog flap and cage but I am not sure which size to go for in either, whats the average size in cms whippets grow to, do you measure to the shoulder?

Can anyone advise on good crates to use as a den and that will also be useful for putting in the car.

Also if he gets travel sick?? I think I saw some threads that said human sea sick pills are ok, which? and how much?

And are kongs dangerous, a woman I know said they are?

Also how wide are the collars they wear when they are adults, I have found a site www.mrsbones.com which has lovely collar designs but not sure what width to get.

Thanks

Lise

Hi, congratulations on getting your whippet! My whippet's kennel name is Floyd too (Flaming Floyd, never was a dog so aptly named :wacko: )

We have two crates - I can't remember the sizes off hand but the one we used as a 'den' was bigger than the one that stays in the car - we just got the biggest one we could find.

He might be a little young for his final, grown-up collar yet so perhaps just get one that you can adjust easily for now, especially while he is still learning to walk on a lead. Ours wears one just under 15" total width, and is a medium-to-large-sized whippet.

Some more collars with widths for comparison at:

http://www.fastdogs-uk.com/shop/index.php?cat=3

Kongs - never used one but there was a recent discussion about them:

http://www.k9community.co.uk/forums/index....=10415&hl=kongs

I'm personally not a fan of dog flaps (know here as burglar flaps (w00t) ) as whippets can be very good escape artists who can jump quite high fences. If you're unsure about how secure your garden is, I'd wait a while. There's also the issue of theft, dogs can be taken from gardens and sighthounds can be particularly at risk. But plenty of people here use dog flaps without a problem.

Whippets do seem to be particularly prone to travel sickness unfortunately. I've never used medication myself though - he's ok if he doesn't eat beforehand. Try taking him on short journeys to nice places, so that he looks forward to his trips, and maybe ask the vet for something if you need to make a longer journey.

Have a look at the FAQ section here - I'm sure some of these things are covered in much greater depth. Goodluck with your boy, don't forget to post lots of pics when he arrives.

Ooh, not the time of year when you think about this but whippets do feel the cold in winter, so ours has a fleecy jacket to wear at night and a cot duvet over his bed when it gets chilly.

Elizabeth

Julie D said:
Hi Lise    just at the same point as you, collecting our puppy in few weeks,  :D so got a new crate off e-bay, 30'' size, zinc plated with metal tray only £25.50 inc p+p, arrived in 3 days. It's big enough for our 9 yr old child  (w00t) !! but you'd have to measure your car boot for size (76 x 54 x 64 cm high)I'll have to go and look for the seller for you  :- "

it's item number 3982793949 sold by bezeeboy

good luck

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies, its a real help, especially the dog flap info. security is definately an issue. I just wanted the dog to have as much freedom as possible, but I would be heartbroken if he got pinched.

Lise

If you do decide to put in a dog flap; install it such a way that the top of the opening is at adult Whippet's shoulder hight = about 20"21" and the opening only little bit bigger than an adult Whippet's chest. I only have girls so I made an opening 5 1/2" wide and 12" high. that is far too small for burglar to squeeze through. However, when Bess was pregnant with her first litter we had to widden the opening by an inch or so for her expanding belly - so now we have the the hole rather weird shape. ;)

:luck:

Lida

No advice really, just wanted to say congrats on getting your first whippet, I'm sure it won't be long before you get a second, and third etc etc, so if you're going to use a crate, I'd suggest getting one that can fit more than one whippet in.

Can't wait to see some pics of your boy.

Andrea

*mum* to Tascha and Mysti

Back