The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Do you know Andy Thor?

Liesbeth

Registered
Reaction score
Please, does anyone know something about Andy Thor and his bloodlines. Andy Thor was exported to France -I don't know exactly - but I think in the seventies. He was out of RCh Nip and open racer Miss Thor. On the Continent he was very famous because in nearly every litter he sired there was a racing champion.

Another famous nonpedigree bitch was P'Rich Encounter out of RCh Haymaker and SRCh Wendygo. She came to France I think in the eighties. I'm interested in the bloodlines of both. Does anyone know if there are racing dogs with these bloodlines which are racing still today?

Liesbeth

I've asked a few non-ped racers about him & drawn a blank. Only person I know who saw him run sadly died last year. He was pretty certain he carried an old 2nd class KC pedigree. He threw tri-colours & black & tans like a manc. terrier.

Sorry I don't have more on him. I would like to see his full ped myself.

Terry Smith said:
I've asked a few non-ped racers about him & drawn a blank. Only person I know who saw him run sadly died last year. He was pretty certain he carried an old 2nd class KC pedigree. He threw tri-colours & black & tans like a manc. terrier. Sorry I don't have more on him. I would like to see his full ped myself.
Hi Terry, thank you for your information. I can give you some more informations about Andy Thor's ped: RCh Nip (Wishy Was X RCh Snowflake), open racer Miss Thor (RCh Thunder X Hill Top). Do you know whippets with these bloodlines which are still racing today?

Do you know something about the bitch P'Rich Encounter?

P'Rich Encounter :

RCh Haymaker ( Wishy Was (Blue Peter X Blackie) X Surprise (Crazy Horse x Black Sheba)

SRCh Wendygo (RCh Yorky Boy (Blue Peter X Gipsy)x Shirley Girl)

Are there whippets with these bloodlines which are still racing today?

Liesbeth

Hi Liesbeth

Were the progeny of Andy Thor registered as pedigrees in France ? I had heard that this happened in the seventies when class 1 and 2 registrations were still being issued by the Kennel Club in the U.K.

An awful lot of non peds racing today have haymaker genes in them, I'll have a look through my whippet news back issues and let you know which dogs they are but we will probably be here forever!!!,(quite a few of my own dogs have haymaker in them), I'm sure lots of other people will also have haymaker in their  breeding whom hopefully contribute, As for Andy Thor, I don't know him but I'm a seventies child and did'nt start racing till 1990ish

Judy said:
Hi Liesbeth
Were the progeny of Andy Thor registered as pedigrees in France ? I had heard that this happened in the seventies when class 1 and 2 registrations were still being issued by the Kennel Club in the U.K.
The system in France was that a dog had to be examined by a certain number of judges (I think 3). If they thought the dog met the standard it was classed as a whippet. This applied to peds & non-peds alike. In theory a crufts winner or wcra ch. could be refused classification. I think this still holds today.

Hello

ANDY THOR was called J'ANDY THOR in France because of the old rules of naming the imported dogs to the letter of the year

ANDY was imported in 1974 and the letter was J

He was owned by the famous Countess DE SAINT SEINE who bred with the DE GRILLEMONT affix

ANDY is in the pedigrees of a lot of racing dogs in France

At the time I wrote, his line of descent is full of 2234 whippets and I haven't all the litters !

French system : when your whippet is 12 months old, you must present him to a judge who verify if he is in the standard

If yes, he receives his definitive pedigree and LOF number ( LOF : Livre des Origines Françaises - English : French Origins Book )

We call it the Confirmation

You can find a page on the Confirmation at

Club Français du Whippet

Sorry, only in French ( but if someone want to translate it ? )

You can find a page of ANDY direct descendants at ANDY THOR'S PAGE

In his descendants, there are ped dogs and non ped dogs ( if you are in the standard : ped, if not, non ped )

Ped dogs can do Racing, Coursing, Showing, Agility, Flyball, all competitions organized under the authority of the Société Centrale Canine ( French Kennel Club )

Non ped dogs can only do Pari Mutuel races

Thanks to starbuck, he has already written what I'm going to write you. I think the French system is very good. Because of the open studbook the French breeders can take nonped and ped whippets for breeding.

Andy Thor isn't only in the pedigrees of a lot of racing whippets in France but also in the pedigrees of many other European racing kennels. In contrast to France the other European breeders were only allowed to take his grandchildren.

Does anyone know if there are whippets with similar bloodlines which ae still racing in the uk?

Another well-known dog is Country Leaf out of R.Ch. County Music x Corvette. He was born in '86 and has a B.W.R.A. Regd.No 299/87. Do you know something about him or his litter brothers and sisters or his breeder?

Liesbeth

Back