The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Did getting a second dog change your first dog?

i100

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Sorry in advance for how long this is!

I would love to hear from anyone that anyone that has two dogs, as am trying to decide whether or not it could work well for me (and my current dog)...

My current dog is a four year old rescue. When I first got him he seemed quite friendly towards people but very afraid of other dogs (he was attacked by larger dogs while at the rescue centre). Two years on, his real personality quirks have emerged - he is very nervous around strangers, particularly men who he will bark and growl at if they come into the house, and is terrified/phobic of any kind of loud noise, thunder, building works, fireworks etc. On walks he could be fine one minute, but will suddenly start panicking, shaking and will absolutely refuse to go any further. He loves being at home and will desperately try to get back home when coming back from a walk. I have been working with him to try and help him with these issues, using treats and praise to turn them into positive experiences, but he is not at all interested in food or toys at any time.

The only thing that seems to really have any effect on making him happier is the company of other dogs. After the initial fear I mentioned, he now absolutely adores other dogs, male or female and of any size. He would play for hours with another dog and is a completely transformed character. Last summer he spent a month with two other dogs where we were staying, and he refused to come inside - a first for him- and even played with their toys with them.

I feel I may have taken the training as far as it will go as the current situation is. I can't get him to move past these fears using food or games because they don't interest him at all. Because of the very positive effect other dogs seem to have on him, I have begun seriously considering whether adopting a second dog may give him a happier life.

From the research I have been doing on what to consider, many organisations seem to say that a second dog can negatively impact the behaviour of your current dog, actually creating more problems. The dog I am thinking of adopting is a slightly younger male, very sociable and friendly towards people, loves going out for walks and is pretty well balanced.

I am not expecting a second dog to 'fix' my current dogs behaviour problems, but i definitely do not want to make them worse.

How have you found getting a second dog affected the behaviour of your first dog?

Did it add to any issues that were already there?

For those of you with shy dogs, did their nervousness affect the 'new' dog's behaviour?

Thank you for your help!

I am not normally a fan of getting another dog as a friend for the first dog. Often it will cause more problems than it solves. The second dog may, for instance, pick up the fears of the first dog rather than the other way around.

If the rescue centre would allow it, could you have a trial for a few days, of just go out for walks together?

When a dog is anxious all learning ceases. The brain is too busy dealing with the perceived danger to be able to learn new behaviours. In order for a dog to learn not be anxious the stimulus needs to be so low that anxiety has not kicked in, allowing learning to take place.

It may be that a qualified Pet Behaviour Therapist from COAPE or APBC would be the best option to treat his phobias.

I am not normally a fan of getting another dog as a friend for the first dog. Often it will cause more problems than it solves. The second dog may, for instance, pick up the fears of the first dog rather than the other way around.

If the rescue centre would allow it, could you have a trial for a few days, of just go out for walks together?

When a dog is anxious all learning ceases. The brain is too busy dealing with the perceived danger to be able to learn new behaviours. In order for a dog to learn not be anxious the stimulus needs to be so low that anxiety has not kicked in, allowing learning to take place.

It may be that a qualified Pet Behaviour Therapist from COAPE or APBC would be the best option to treat his phobias.
Thank you for you reply.

I agree with what you say about the possibility of it causing more problems, which is why I am interested to hear how people have found it.

From advice I have been given on another forum, everyone that has replied has had a positive experience of getting another dog, and the two dog either kept their original temperaments and did not pick up fears, or the more nervous dog became more confident through having a relaxed dog around. Either of these options would be ok, I just don't want to run the risk of making the problem worse, as you say.

I have been working with a behaviour therapist for a while, but unfortunately my dog's anxiety 'attacks' are very inconsistent and unpredictable so although I have techniques to follow, hard to work with during sessions. Really the only thing he responds to is the company of other dogs (I have tried every other stimulus I can think of!) which is why I am thinking of this as an option as he is totally transformed and relaxed around them.

I have taken people's advice and am now thinking a female is a wiser choice... I have found a rescue that is six years old and has been living as a stray for quite a while. She has always lived with many other dogs, and is very balanced behaviourally (very sociable and affectionate and has lived outside for many years so does not seem afraid of noises). Being older might be beneficial I think to ensuring that she doesn't pick up on my dog's anxiety.

I am hoping to be able to arrange a foster period, which would be a good way of seeing how they both react.

Thank you again for your help

It is always better to mix a dog and a bitch. You know your dog and if your gut instinct tells you that he will gain confidence from being with another dog then I would go for it.

I, personally, find meeting the needs of two dogs quite hard work. I suppose the trick is to match them as nearly as possible. My old girl was quite put out when we brought in a new puppy. She always looked at me reproachfully as if to say "wasn't I enough for you?" lol!

This girl you have found sounds just right :)

Back