The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Collar Calamity!

Ameston

Registered
Reaction score
:rant: Having always used rolled leather buckle collars on my Boxers combined with double action check collars I had not had experience of the three pronged plastic clips before. Disaster struck today!

We started Molly off with a soft buckle up puppy collar and that served the purpose well. I'm currently waiting for the local pet shop to get delivery of a little leather fishtail Whippet collar plus have a very nice set on route from Australia via here and Ebay! In the meantime something was needed to plug the gap.

I went to Pets At Home and purchased a reflective collar and lead. I did test the clip and the spring hook on the lead and all appeared okay. Today on the beach (thank goodness it was the beach) the collar snapped off and Molly was completely free and off like a bullet. Fortunately the three of us quickly got her attention and she came back and was quickly scooped up by me. The thoughts of what could have happened are horrendous and it has really put me off using a collar with this kind of fastening.

Needless to say I will be off to Pets At Home tomorrow!

Pictured is the offending collar and you can clearly see where one of the three prongs has snapped. Has anyone else had any similar experiences? Molly meanwhile is snoozing after her near miss.

Ameston

molly3.jpg

View attachment 42665

:eek: So glad she's okay :thumbsup:

That's scary!! :( Glad you managed to scoop her up!

I have just bought a puppy buckle collar/lead for our puppy(when he comes in a few weeks) and was going to ask the question....what is the BEST/SAFEST type of collar for a whippet...Martingale? I don't fancy a clip one after that!

We had a bad experience with clip like this one too. Few years ago i bought such a collar for my daughter's Borzoi. He used to come to work with her, and one day at lunch time she walked with him on a very busy road (bumper to bumper traffic and trams) when he pulled, the clip opened and he raced across the busy road and back again (w00t) Fortunately, being huge, and red and white, he was very visible so everybody stopped :sweating:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't like thse clips...we had one broke on a halti....lucky I noticed it before we went out :- "

I try to avoid them

i would go for a fabric martingale collar every time. kind to the neck and escape proof. :thumbsup:

Beautiful puppy. I don't think I could/would ever trust a plastic clip for a dog, regardless of the quality of clip.

You need one of my soft adjustable kangaroo hide collars - just right for beautiful little girls like yours. hehehee....

Im another fan of the fabric martingale collar used with a thin leather collar

which has the id tag on.

Never had a three prong plastic fastening break in fifteen years of dog ownership.

i've used collars with that type of fastening on all my non whippets.

my biggest problem has always been leads that unclip themselves while i'm walking and my dog suddenly walks ahead of me off lead and i'm walking with a lead dangling down and yet when you try to make the lead undo,you can't (w00t)

i hate these fastenings too, accident waiting to happen in my opinion (for whatever my opinion is worth :p )

i use martingale collars and i find them very satisfactory. you have firm but gentle control and they are nice and wide for comfort. i buy from canada, matching collar and lead sets, profits go to a greyhound rescue out there.

having said that i did recently see a uk company doing a similar thing, if i find it again i will post the link.

leather fishtails are nice but get worn and must be checked regularily for cracks especially around the buckle area.

glad you got her back anyway, it turns your stomach doesnt it!!

:flowers:

Sorry to hear about your collar troubles and glad that it all worked out in the end! Lupine makes a fairly inexpensive adjustable martingale collar (with matching lead) in various patterns and widths that don't have and buckles/plastic prongs to break off and you can adjust along as your puppy grows. Also, Lupine guarantees that they will replace any collar, anytime for any reason--including if your whippie chews it up!

Jalynn Almond

DuMond

I have always used these type of collars/clips on my whippets and lurchers and I must speak as I find and say that I have never had a problem with them. Some have been in constant use for 8 - 9 years and are still going strong. Sorry to hear of your experience though. All the best :cheers:

I can't believe it. The harness for Stan has a similiar 3 pronged plastic clip to fasten it, and it broke last night in exactly the same place. It didn't undo completely, and still held itself in by the remaining prong...but I'm not impressed. It wasn't a cheap harness. It's well made...it's a shame it has been let down by the cheap plastic component. :angry:

Back