The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Cockapoo/sproodle

Mum of Ted

Registered
Reaction score
We have a mix sproodle/ cockapoo..he is 18 weeks and worrying we are not feeding him enough as there are so many guidleines and charts!
He weighs in at 6.6kg. At the moment he has 120kg a day over 3 feeds. He always scoffs it down, even though we use a snuffle mat.
He has 2 20 min walks a day, one being field and forest based and the other mostly pavement and around houses to get him used to noises and people etc.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220427-180300_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20220427-180300_WhatsApp.jpg
    780.4 KB · Views: 91
Welcome to the forum - he is lovely :)

I'm not sure I can help with how much to feed - I'd just be checking more charts! But the amount to feed will be determined by his predicted adult weight rather than his current weight. This isn't easy to estimate for a crossbreed, but you should be able to make a reasonable guess based on the weights of adult springer, cockers and poodles.

Quantities to feed will also depend on what you are feeding - some food contains a lot of filler, so you need to feed more than if you fed a good quality grain-free. And if feeding wet food (including raw), you need to feed more as much of the content is simply water.

Chances are, if he's gaining weight but not excessively, has plenty of energy, and isn't constantly starving, then you're getting it right.

Each animal is an individual both physically and mentally. Measuring food is a waste of your time together (I know you are wanting to do everything absolutely right, so see this as an observation not a criticism). Also consider that feed manufacturers want to sell product, so they encourage overfeeding - think how many fat adult dogs we see.

If puppy is finishing his food each time, doesn't search about endlessly for more (a little check round for missed bits is okay), is well-covered with nice loose skin, is bright-eyed, lively and alert - you're getting it right! Puppies grow at irregular rates, so as he nears adolescence he may well go through a lean phase, so feed him a bit more then if you like.

And he looks a real dude.

Hi and welcome:) Love that pic, what a wonderful face!
Food wise I can only echo what has already been said;)

Found a website called All about dog food...its fab and we now know we are on the right track

Back