The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Clickers

jkbjackson

Registered
Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of you have used clickers before?The problem is when we take Lofty out for walks in the forest and let him off his lead sometimes he is good and just walks with us but most of the time he runs off and no matter if we call him,shake his treats he never comes back and i have to run around the forrest getting him.So we are thinking of getting a clicker to see if this helps.if anybody has any advice it would be really helpfull because i want to let him run free and not to be on the lead for our walks.

Kirsty x

I think the secret is to do plenty of recall training when he is on a long lead, so that you can make sure he comes back when told. A trainer told me that it takes 3 weeks of doing that consistently, without letting them off the long lead when you are out, before you can be sure they have got the message. If he isn't listening to you calling he isn't going to obey a clicker, I would have thought. Another good tip I was given was to train them to come to a (blown) whistle, because the sound travels much further than a call. She suggested starting with blowing the whistle when you call them for their meal, so that they associate it with something very positive. These two things have really helped with training Grace. She isn't 100% on her recall and can still be distracted by other dogs or a wonderful smell, but she is pretty good. And we are still working on it!

I asked the same thing when we first got Poppy. I don't use a clicker, I don't think they would hear it if they were far away on a walk?

I whistle (with my mouth) for recall as she can hear it even if she is quite a way away, ears go up even if she ignores it!

We did whistle then treat on an extension lead which seems to have worked!

Still gets distracted sometimes and comes back after she has finished whatever she was doing!

Good luck :thumbsup:

I found clicker training to be very good. I used it with Diesel to great success. The key is to keep training sessions short and to be prepared to go back and retrain something until they are at the standard you require.

There are many great sites on the web with tips on how to train recall using one.

doggy182 said:
I asked the same thing when we first got Poppy. I don't use a clicker, I don't think they would hear it if they were far away on a walk?
I wonder if maybe you need to read up on how a clicker is used for training; it's used as a "marker" to train and shape the desired behaviour (ie as soon as the dog has performed the required action you click and then reward). You don't "click" as a signal for your dog to then return to you on the recall. :)

A clicker when used correctly has good results as it produces a consistent sound which the dog will associate with the desired behaviour. It's good - have a read up and try it! :cheers:

^^ Edited, as I forgot to put the "quote" in first time I posted :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the clicker superb. As already said the clicker is not the command it is what the dog associates with good behaviour and getting a treat. Diesel certainly knows what the click means and he is happy to work to hear the click

Now Diesel is older the time gap between clicks is greater and he has to do much more to get a reward.

I have certainly been pleased with the success I have had with mine and would happily recommend them.

wilfred said:
doggy182 said:
I wonder if maybe you need to read up on how a clicker is used for training; it's used as a "marker" to train and shape the desired behaviour (ie as soon as the dog has performed the required action you click and then reward). You don't "click" as a signal for your dog to then return to you on the recall. :)

A clicker when used correctly has good results as it produces a consistent sound which the dog will associate with the desired behaviour. It's good - have a read up and try it! :cheers:

^^ Edited, as I forgot to put the "quote" in first time I posted :wacko:

Ok sorry for being just a little stupid here but how does the clicker then help with recall? I don't understand!? (Probably me being daft :- " )

Have only read a small amount of info on clickers so don't really know how it works. :oops:

Poppy associates my commands with getting a reward and doing what I asked so why put another noise in as well? Does it mean I can teach her to do more complicated things?

PS did you try it yet kirsty?

Back