The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Clicker training?

poppy2714

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I am just curious if anyone here clicker trains their dogs? If you do any advice, tips, or what not to do's would be great! I have started reading online and its all a bit overwhelming as there seem to be a lot of does and don'ts

Clicker training is simple when you know how. Yes it seems daunting but well worth learning. Take a look the Kikopup videos on YouTube.

A way to understand it is to think of taking a snap of the behaviour you would like the dog to repeat. First you have to "charge" the clicker by clicking (only once) and then giving the dog a treat. Repeat until the dog looks up to expect a treat. Your dog then knows that a click means a treat will definitely be coming. Never click and fail to treat. If you click accidentally it is still important to treat. Do not worry if the dog was not performing what you wanted, just start again.

For example - if teaching the down. Lure the dog into the down position and immediately the dogs elbow or hocks touch the ground click. The treat should follow quickly. As time goes on get the food out of your hand for luring but pretend you still have it there. As the dog lowers into the down click and then give the treat from your pocket or bum bag. You have probably read about "shaping" but that is a bit more advanced so I would not worry about it for now.

Dogs love clicker training because they come to understand the sound of the click means a treat and so have a positive emotional reaction to it.

You could ask an APDT trainer to give you a private session to teach you the basics.

Back