The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

"but A Whippet's Not A Dog, Darling"

sophie

Registered
Reaction score
When I told my boyf I was getting a whippet he snorted and said 'a whippet's not a dog, darling!" I retorted whatever was it then, a goldfish?!

Boyf. grew up on a farm, designs extremely fast cars for a living, and is into dangerous sports and sailing. His idea of a dog is an English setter, or maybe a Rhodesian ridgeback, or a Weimaraner. I pointed out that whippets' 0-60 mph acceleration comes third after cheetah, and - I think - some brand of Jaguar(car). It got him thinking.

I went out and procured Freddie.

When boyf first saw him he immediately changed tune. "Ahh!" All six foot 3 of him melted. The first weekend he designed Freddie a 'Freddie log' - a bone shaped toy made of hard, non splintering wood that had Freddie's name engraved on it, and a rope attached to it.

Six months on whenever boyf comes to the house he drops to his knees at the front door, allows Freddie to lick him all over, and makes odd cooing noises. If my daughter and I try to say something boyf. does not hear: he's talking to the dog, grunting, stroking him, telling him how wonderful he is.... communing!!!

"So, is a whippet a dog now?" daughter cheekily asks. "The best there is," comes the answer. "Ooh yes..." Bloke is now actually sitting ON the dog bed, reverting to odd cooing sounds and playing with Freddie's ears...

Thats great - a whippet can melt anyone's heart :wub:

Sounds like you've got him really well trained there........ and I don't mean Freddie :- "

Sounds a sensible guy to me! :D :cheers:

I totally agree with you boyfriend; Whippet is NOT just a dog he is a sighthound and they are far above mere dogs :)

Sophie, that's a great story! My husband still loves his Dobermann best but when she's been naughty he admits Holly is creeping up to becoming his favourite! (Frankie does not pay him enough attention because he is too much of a mummy's boy :lol: )

Thats really funny as I never wanted a dog, never saw the point in them and we now have 4 Whippets and I've never looked back they are such characters :wub:

Simon

My OH never thought oh whippets as proper dogs but after meeting me and Inca he soon changed his mind... (w00t)

Now hes a gooey over them and lurchers as me :wub:

glad your b/f came round.

you just have to love whippets

any chance of a pic of the pair of them ? He sounds a sweetie . :- "

Good luck and well done for choosing a whippet. :wub: Pictures would be lovely as Jax says :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back