The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Blood in puppy poo - help please!

gemmaa29

Registered
Reaction score
I have recently got a Pug puppy, just three days ago. She is 16 weeks old and generally settling in ok. I took her to the vets on Tuesday for her first injection, the vet looked her over and said she seems healthy. However, she has since had severe diarrhoea, having gone today approximately 10 times (4 in the last 3-4 hours). Her stools are very watery, there is blood in her poo (not loads, but more than just a trace). There is also a yellow-ish liquid around the outside of her poo (which is definitely not urine).

She is currently eating 3 meals a day, I am feeding her a mixture of the food given to me by the breeder (not sure of the brand) and the food that I will be giving her (which is James Wellbeloved - she is having the Duck flavour one at the moment). She is drinking and eating fine, as well as being quite lively.

I don't know whether this is normal and I'm worrying about nothing - is it simply the change in environment / new food / effects of her vet injections? Or is this something more sinister and should I go to the vets?

All my family and friends are saying to give it a week and see how she is, but I am very worried about her, so any advice would really help and be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

If it's bright red blood it's likely to be from the irritation of the runny poo and whatever's going on in her tummy. Runny poo for more than 24 hours is concerning in a young pup. The main concern being dehydration.

You need to make sure she is drinking. If it's got worse a visit to an out of hours vet might be needed. Otherwise I would put her on a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for a day or two to rest her tummy and give it time to heal, then slowly introduce back her regular food.

When it comes to runny tummies 48 hours is the longest I give, even for adults, before heading to the vets. At first sign I withhold a meal to give tummy time to settle, then boiled chicken/rice till things start to firm up. If no change after a day or so, or if it gets worse then straight to the vets. Dehydration is a serious risk with any dog, but even more so with young pups

I hope things are better now, sorry I didn't see this until today to reply

Back