The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Bitch In Heat....dog Driven Mad???

ecknnelly

Registered
Reaction score
hello everyone,

has anyone got advice on how to calm our dg 'eck' down? This is the first season for nell our bitch, it's now the third week and up until last night everything was fine, they could be seperated, and together things were just as normal (albiet the were never alone). But last night Eck went crazy :b ....we had left him in in the conservatory (where they both sleep normally) and nell was in the bedroom in her makeshift bed, this has been fine so far...this morning it was like a bomb had gone off in the conservatory, their wooden bed (like a three sided cage) was totally chewed and split and strewn across the room, blantes ripped and even a plastic bucket had been pulled through the cat flap, that is no more!

It is the first season for both of them and I was wondering if anyone else has dog and bitch in a domestic enviroment and how they cope; or if there are any tricks through this time; is it normal that for the most part the dog is 'sane'?

We could put eck up into the kennel at the back of the garden, but the neighbours would probably hear him, and he seemed to have the power of three dobermen last night, all the doors will have to be replaced it a mess :oops: , so it may be more distressing for him to be even further away?

bye for now :thumbsup:

Oh dear..poor chap. :( I don't have much in the way of constructive advice...sorry. I think those that keep entire dogs and bitches together are very brave and tolerant. It does sound like the dog suffers a bit in these circumstances. Could he go to another family member for a while, to take him away from all those distracting scents and give his hormones a chance to calm down?

My parents have the same problem with 3 bitches and two dogs all living in the house. It does not get any easier sorry! But i was reconmended stuff from holland and barate from someone on K9 the stuff is called Angus Castas i think. These tablets are meant to increase the fertility of women but do the complete opposite for males and you can use on dog. You give it to your dog up to 2 wks before your bitch is in season. But i would ask your vet before trying him with the tablets. My parents havent tried it yet but will do the next time one of the bitches comes in. Hope this helps :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
You've gone about it in exactly the same way we did the first time around with exactly the same results (w00t)

With our three the only way to keep it fairly calm here is to seperate at the first sign Teasel comes into season :b Teasel lives upstairs and the boys live downstairs and nobody meets until its all over :D and it works fine and nobody gets stressed :thumbsup:

The first time around when all hell broke loose :unsure: we cleaned everything she'd come into contact with downstairs and I mean everything :eek: and then kept them seperate and it did calm everything down :b

Good luck (w00t)

Cheers

Steve

:- " I,v got the same problem myself at the moment . I keep dogs caged and the girls, in seperate rooms . It helps if you have a seperate area for the bitch to go tiddle, so the dog dosn't go round lapping up all the that scent :b so to speak .

Still drives the dogs mad ,even when we are out and they are trying to mount anything :- "

I know of someone who had a male Akita & a husky bitch. She came into season & they kept the male in the kitchen & the bitch in the next room.

Well, one day they went out & when they came home there was an Akita shaped hole in the kitchen door (w00t)

9 weeks later...... :b :b very cute huskitas :lol:

J.T. said:
I know of someone who had a male Akita & a husky bitch. She came into season & they kept the male in the kitchen & the bitch in the next room.Well, one day they went out & when they came home there was an Akita shaped hole in the kitchen door (w00t)

9 weeks later...... :b   :b very cute huskitas :lol:

:oops: Sorry, I know this is a very serious situation, but that story is just so funny, I just keep seeing flashes of cartoon like shapes in the door (w00t)

I can't give any additional advice to what has already been given, as I only keep dogs. Good luck, and I hope things calm down :luck:

my mum and dad mixed dogs and bitches once, but the dog used to drop weight when the girls came in season, it really was not fair on him.......

its like putting a a flake in front of me and saying DONT eat it...ahhhhhhhhhhhh :wacko: :blink:

good luck :luck:

Another thing to consider long term is that it can set off episodes of prostate inflammation in middle-aged or older dogs, which can lead to the prostate being more prone to infection and also cause them some discomfort. :luck:

Back