The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Bathing Your Pooch

Cornish

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

Well it was bath day for Sidney today and it made me wonder what you do on bath day for your pups :))

Sidney sits in a bath of warm water while I shower him down, I use puppy squirt shampoo on him as it is gentle on his eyes.

Once out of the bath I try to rub him down but he dashes off shaking and rubbing himself on the rug, furniture and if he gets outside the garden too...... he hates the hairdryer.

Our ex racing greyhound needed bathing once every 6 months but I notice with Sidney, he gets a little more stinky so I do him once a month.

help_me.jpg

only bath my guys if they roll in something vile or if they start to smell a little fragrant which isn't often.....maybe four times a year....regular brushing keeps the doggy smell down.

I use Gorgeous Guineas Guinea pig shampoos' they are made from essential oils, Lemon Tea Tree and Lavender is nice.

and i get to tell my dog he smells like a guinea pig which amuses my tiny mind (w00t)

What a sweet photo! :wub: :wub:

I bath Zephyr when necessary (after smelly rolling in fox poo etc :rant: ) and before important occasions!! He jumps into the bath straight away so doesn't seem to mind, and I fill the bath half way and then use the shower as well, but I don't use a hairdryer as whippets dry so quickly anyway. I just give him a good towel dry and a brush and let him charge all over the house like a mad thing! :lol:

Here he is giving me one of his looks! :blink: :- "

Oh, and I usually use tea tree shampoo or Quistel, but am going to try Dorwest's Pennyroyal and Mint tomorrow for a change! :p

Zephyr_in_bath2005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

I know that look only to well :)

We are all going to visit family tomorrow so Sidney has to be smelly daisy fresh while he charges around their garden :)

i bath mine only if they have rolled in something,or generally once every 3 to 4 months,we use malaseb i get it from the vets,excellent for the coat.

mine arent keen on having a bath,but once their done they charge round the house like lunatics :lol:

I used to bath Jazz frequently as she got very bad grass rash & bathing seemed to be the only way to alleviate it. Thankfully this year she seems to have grown out of it & the baths are only now required for the FPR episodes (fox poo rolling). If I look in my bathroom cabinet I seem to have more dog shampoos that human ones containing everything from coal tar to oatmeal. However, remember if you are showing, & bathing for apperances sake, you should bath a few days before the event to allow the coats natural oils to replenish as bathing can actually dull the coat somewhat.

I usually bath mine when its needed, usually when Inca is covered in her favourite scent...fox poo (w00t)

Thankfully Dippy doesn't roll...yet but she has only been bathed twice in the 6 months I've had her and Inca once in 6 months.

Although I am going to try my sample of Pennyroyal shampoo on them today.

I only bathe as and when necessary as Beau suffers from recurring dry skin.

Zeb gets bathed just before he get frontlined or when he rolls (so about once a month (w00t) ) :- "

We bathe Ella as little as possible, it's like a torture for her, she shivers and shakes , leans against the side of the bath and is like a coiled spring ready to leap out if you let your guard down (w00t)

I feel so cruel but sometimes it's necessary !

she doesn't seem to mind her toenails getting scrubbed with an old toothbrush, only tried the hairdryer once, hated it, so if it's winter when she has a bath I put her dog pj's on after a towel rub to stop any chills :- " :lol:

boothros said:
I used to bath Jazz frequently as she got very bad grass rash & bathing seemed to be the only way to alleviate it. Thankfully this year she seems to have grown out of it & the baths are only now required for the FPR episodes (fox poo rolling). If I look in my bathroom cabinet I seem to have more dog shampoos that human ones containing everything from coal tar to oatmeal. However, remember if you are showing, & bathing for apperances sake, you should bath a few days before the event to allow the coats natural oils to replenish as bathing can actually dull the coat somewhat.
You try keeping William clean if you bath him a couple of days before a show :oops: As it is I bath him the day before and have to take something with me to clean of the dirty marks he picks up along the way

Yesterday he had yellow wee marks all down his side wasn't Owen as Ben had William and I had Owen so some dirty dog must have cocked its leg up him on the way to our benches

The whippets usually just get white bits washed for open shows and bathed all over for champ showswhich I don't go to that often

Bathtime is every few weeks for Willow (14 months) and every week or so for little Buffy, as she gets stinky very quickly. We use tubes of "8 In 1 Pro" gel shampoo - vanilla and peach scent for Willow, and baby powder scent for Buffy. Neither of them like baths, but they do put up with them OK once they're nice and warm in the water. They both hate their heads being done, though! We do them in our normal bathtub, but did Buffy first of all in the sink (see amusing photo). The thing they love most is running around like loons afterwards, rolling on everything they can find to get dry, even after they've been thoroughly towel-dried. What a couple of little monkeys :D

bath.jpg

alilemur said:
Bathtime is every few weeks for Willow (14 months) and every week or so for little Buffy, as she gets stinky very quickly. We use tubes of "8 In 1 Pro" gel shampoo - vanilla and peach scent for Willow, and baby powder scent for Buffy. Neither of them like baths, but they do put up with them OK once they're nice and warm in the water. They both hate their heads being done, though! We do them in our normal bathtub, but did Buffy first of all in the sink (see amusing photo). The thing they love most is running around like loons afterwards, rolling on everything they can find to get dry, even after they've been thoroughly towel-dried. What a couple of little monkeys  :D View attachment 34371

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: awww very cute

where do you get baby powder scent from?

Cornish said:
Hello,
Well it was bath day for Sidney today and it made me wonder what you do on bath day for your pups :))

Sidney sits in a bath of warm water while I shower him down, I use puppy squirt shampoo on him as it is gentle on his eyes.

Once out of the bath I try to rub him down but he dashes off shaking and rubbing himself on the rug, furniture and if he gets outside the garden too...... he hates the hairdryer.

Our ex racing greyhound needed bathing once every 6 months but I notice with Sidney, he gets a little more stinky so I do him once a month.

thats the funniest picture i`ve seen in a long time...had me and my family in stitches :lol:

thats the funniest picture i`ve seen in a long time...had me and my family in stitches :lol:

My 11 year old son took the photo and when I popped it onto my computer it had me in tears.....

If Sid isn't tryng to play with the hairdryer while it's blowing he's sitting there as if to say, if you must :rant: but I wish you'd hurry up as I am not overly keen :D

Overall I probably bath my lot four times a year but the show dogs are bathed more often in the summer.

The Supermodel has quite a lot of white on her legs so she gets bathed about once a month from April - September for showing. As long as her legs are dry a good brush with a bristle brush keeps the white bits glowing in between.

Zoomie is bathed for shows if he pees down his legs or on his chest. I always do the bathing two days before a show to let the gloss come back through (I also feed them sardines before a show because that really brings out a shine). I don't wash their heads in case they get water in their ears - I wipe their faces with a cloth after the bath.

I never use a hairdryer because their skin is sooo thin it might burn them. I just use heaps of towels and rub them down thoroughly.... then they go 'mad' :lol:

My lot don't seem to smell bad very much - even the ones that are bathed less often. I try to wash their beds every two weeks or the beds can smell.

They're always bathed if they roll though (w00t) :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine only get bathed if they roll in ` Eue de Fox :x unless they have a show coming up , even then its usually only Libbee i need to bath as she has a lot of white on her .

I think too much bathing is bad for dogs and removes their natural oils from their coat A good brush down on a regular bais should get rid of unwanted hair and so promoting new growth which shouldnt smell ( in theory :- " ) :cheers:

Back