The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Back To The Vets

midlanderkeith

Registered
Reaction score
Well if you remember last saturday i took my dog to the vets cos she was shaking her head violently, and weaving in and out my legs just for a scratch, its only around her head and ears thats bothering her, well the vet gave me some stuff for mites, £36 worth of stuff, now i think it was tuesday she seemed to have a break, but ive just had to bring her back from her walk as she is scratching her bonce on the ground, in other words the poor bugger is getting no pc, i can feel it in my bones that the stuff given by my vet is doing no good at all, in fact i will go as far as to say, the medication is aggravating her, now someone suggested piriton, but i will have to wait until she has finished her anti biotics, [YES] the vet did mention that her head was rather warm, im racking my brain as to what the prob is.

thanks

keith

Sounds like some sort of allergy. One of mine was awfully hot and his itchy, especially his head, last year. Tried Piriton and it did not work (antihistamines are not usually very effective on dogs) so had to resort to (and I hate to have to admit to this cos I detest using them!!!)

STEROID treatment.

He had quite a high dose of Prednisolone for about 7 days and then gradually tailed it off over a period of about 8 weeks. Don't know what caused it but you can spend thousands trying to find the cause and never do so a few £s on short term steroids to relieve the dog's irritation seems worth it!!

dessie said:
Sounds like some sort of allergy.  One of mine was awfully hot and his itchy, especially his head, last year.  Tried Piriton and it did not work (antihistamines are not usually very effective on dogs) so had to resort to (and I hate to have to admit to this cos I detest using them!!!)
STEROID treatment.

He had quite a high dose of Prednisolone for about 7 days and then gradually tailed it off over a period of about 8 weeks.  Don't know what caused it but you can spend thousands trying to find the cause and never do so a few £s on short term steroids to relieve the dog's irritation seems worth it!!

Thanks Dessie, i did swap vets cos i wasnt happy with the first one, and the one i use now, well lets put it this way, he just doesnt seem in my book to really get down and thoroughly check her out when i take her, ah well i will sort it.

thanks

keith

midlanderkeith said:
Well if you remember last saturday i took my dog to the vets cos she was shaking her head violently, and weaving in and out my legs just for a scratch, its only around her head and ears thats bothering her, well the vet gave me some stuff for mites, £36 worth of stuff, now i think it was tuesday she seemed to have a break, but ive just had to bring her back from her walk as she is scratching her bonce on the ground, in other words the poor bugger is getting no pc, i can feel it in my bones that the stuff given by my vet is doing no good at all, in fact i will go as far as to say, the medication is aggravating her, now someone suggested piriton, but i will have to wait until she has finished her anti biotics, [YES] the vet did mention that her head was rather warm, im racking my brain as to what the prob is.                    thanks

keith

hello,what do you feed your dogs keith?As this sounds similar to the condition my whippet had!Might be able to help :thumbsup:

claire and grace

graciepup said:
midlanderkeith said:
Well if you remember last saturday i took my dog to the vets cos she was shaking her head violently, and weaving in and out my legs just for a scratch, its only around her head and ears thats bothering her, well the vet gave me some stuff for mites, £36 worth of stuff, now i think it was tuesday she seemed to have a break, but ive just had to bring her back from her walk as she is scratching her bonce on the ground, in other words the poor bugger is getting no pc, i can feel it in my bones that the stuff given by my vet is doing no good at all, in fact i will go as far as to say, the medication is aggravating her, now someone suggested piriton, but i will have to wait until she has finished her anti biotics, [YES] the vet did mention that her head was rather warm, im racking my brain as to what the prob is.                     thanks

keith

hello,what do you feed your dogs keith?As this sounds similar to the condition my whippet had!Might be able to help :thumbsup:

claire and grace

Hiya, well ive been thinking the same thing myself as i say racking my brains out, well she has a varied diet, Tuna, pasta, veggies, eggs, rice, occasional complete, sardines, any help would be much appreciated before i go back to the vets

thanks

keith

:wub:

midlanderkeith said:
graciepup said:
midlanderkeith said:
Well if you remember last saturday i took my dog to the vets cos she was shaking her head violently, and weaving in and out my legs just for a scratch, its only around her head and ears thats bothering her, well the vet gave me some stuff for mites, £36 worth of stuff, now i think it was tuesday she seemed to have a break, but ive just had to bring her back from her walk as she is scratching her bonce on the ground, in other words the poor bugger is getting no pc, i can feel it in my bones that the stuff given by my vet is doing no good at all, in fact i will go as far as to say, the medication is aggravating her, now someone suggested piriton, but i will have to wait until she has finished her anti biotics, [YES] the vet did mention that her head was rather warm, im racking my brain as to what the prob is.                     thanks

keith

claire and grace

Hiya, well ive been thinking the same thing myself as i say racking my brains out, well she has a varied diet, Tuna, pasta, veggies, eggs, rice, occasional complete, sardines, any help would be much appreciated before i go back to the vets

thanks

keith

Hi Keith.Grace is allergic to wheat and rice,also dried complete food as contains rice etc!.She used to shake her head and roll around on the floor constantly.Also nearly knoced me over rubbing her head.She is now on raw mince,veg and bones ONLY.N0 treats or proccesed food.She is fine now.Hope this helps :) Lots of :luck: Avoid steroids as this thins the skin and makes them more prone to infection.

:wub: claire and grace

claire_camera_344.jpg

graciepup said:
midlanderkeith said:
graciepup said:
midlanderkeith said:

keith

claire and grace

thanks

keith

Hi Keith.Grace is allergic to wheat and rice,also dried complete food as contains rice etc!.She used to shake her head and roll around on the floor constantly.Also nearly knoced me over rubbing her head.She is now on raw mince,veg and bones ONLY.N0 treats or proccesed food.She is fine now.Hope this helps :) Lots of :luck: Avoid steroids as this thins the skin and makes them more prone to infection.

Well i really cannot thank you enough for the advice, believe me or believe me not , i was thinking rice and pasta, i will now put her on raw mince and veggies and see how she goes, thank you for taking the time to answer me, i will keep k9 informed

keith

:cheers:

Hope all goes well Keith.

I've just been to the vet myself, he suspects that my dog has OCD in his right shoulder. We're going back for an x-ray on Monday. He's quoted me £1000 and up, just for the x-ray, thank the sweet lord i'm insured.

gusitt3.jpg

midlanderkeith said:
graciepup said:
midlanderkeith said:
graciepup said:
midlanderkeith said:

keith

claire and grace

thanks

keith

Well i really cannot thank you enough for the advice, believe me or believe me not , i was thinking rice and pasta, i will now put her on raw mince and veggies and see how she goes, thank you for taking the time to answer me, i will keep k9 informed

keith

Hope this does the trick Keith, :thumbsup: I don't know if you've read this but just incase you haven't it's best to freeze the mince first :thumbsup: to prevent neo something or other(long name)

*Lesley* said:
midlanderkeith said:
graciepup said:
midlanderkeith said:
graciepup said:
midlanderkeith said:

keith

claire and grace

thanks

keith

keith

Hope this does the trick Keith, :thumbsup: I don't know if you've read this but just incase you haven't it's best to freeze the mince first :thumbsup: to prevent neo something or other(long name)

Hi Lesley, im just wiping the tears out my eyes cos of simons, £1000 quote, dear god above, glad hes insured anyhow, yes thanks to k9 i have read it best to freeze first, at the moment im scratching jills ears for her so she doesnt scratch em raw herself

keith

:thumbsup:

~whitecross whippets~ said:
hope you can sort it out for her keith :luck:   :thumbsup:
Oh dont u worry bout that my friend i will, im a dog owner and lover u see, by the way u arent a mug, just a decent person having your hospitality thrown back in your face.

keith

midlanderkeith said:
~whitecross whippets~ said:
hope you can sort it out for her keith :luck:   :thumbsup:
Oh dont u worry bout that my friend i will, im a dog owner and lover u see, by the way u arent a mug, just a decent person having your hospitality thrown back in your face.

keith

aww thanks keith :thumbsup:

At the moment im scratching jills ears for her so she doesnt scratch em raw herself

keith

:thumbsup:

It's called an eargasm in our house, it only works on the dogs mind.

melanie said:
hows jill now keith?
I took her back to the vets friday cos she seemed to get worse with what he previously gave me, so he changed her anti biotics, friday night as told by my vet give her a tablet which i did, 4 20 am sat morning i got up to go the loo, jill had left my bedroom which she never does, i bombed it downstairs, and she was in her bed in the living room trembling, so i let her out, she crapped for england poor thing, then i brought her in and she went back to bed, ive rung the emergency vet and was told if she is no better monday take her back, shes lost loads of weight, not eaten anything, she is wrapped up in a blanket asleep, im trying to get her to drink water, and up till about 4 ish today wouldnt drink, but ive put down some warm sugary water which she shifted the lot and as i say now she is fast asleep, but its done my head in, shes a lovely dog and im really upset, and angry with my vet, thanks for asking

keith

Its interesting about the allergy theory and also that she seems worse when been for a walk,, reason i say is that some horses suffer with a condition called headshaking and i had a horse that had the condition - not alot is known about it and some theorys are food allergys, or pollen allergy ( which would explain her being worse after walking, or on warm hazy day).

my horse was noticably worse on warm days and when ridden in high pollen areas , he was practically 'symptom free' in the cold winter months - which could explain why Jill is getting the condition show now.

Another theory is that they are hyposensitive in the nasal'sinus area and the reason they headshake is the nerve endings are irritating them so much duew to pollen, etc that that is why they franctically headshake - i know some horses that had nerve blocks to find out where the pain actully is and also when area was found have the nerve endings permantly severed, or medication, etc :eek: :wacko:

Obviously, i dont know if this conditon exsists in dogs but just thought id mention it just as a thought as the symptoms are the same and just incase anyone is interested in general:thumbsup:

Back