The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Arthritis In Dogs

*Lesley*

Grand Master...Fluffy & nice
Registered
Reaction score
My mum in laws dog(not a whippet) is suffering from a bit of arthritis in the hip and was wondering if there are any remedies other than drugs to help with this, so I thought this would be the best place to find out :D perhaps more natural to help with pain and movement, any advice would be gratefully received :huggles:

Last edited by a moderator:
I brought some Joint Aid for Dogs from www.gro-wellfeeds.com which seems to have helped my boy. The other thing which I have found helps is oily fish a few times a week.

Good luck hope you find something that helps. :luck:

Michelle

Lucy aged 14 wearing her copper chain, it seems to have worked for her

:huggles: post_2343_1148649679.jpg

Dorwests Garlic & Fenugreek and also Mixed Vegetable tablets - both licensed to reduce arthritic symptoms. Also a very high quality glucosamine and chrondoitin is also worthwhile - but don't plump for the cheapies, can be very poor quality

Thanks Boffy :huggles: where did you get that from Dolly? it looks nice too, like a necklace :wub:

~JO~ said:
Dorwests Garlic & Fenugreek and also Mixed Vegetable tablets - both licensed to reduce arthritic symptoms.  Also a very high quality glucosamine and chrondoitin is also worthwhile - but don't plump for the cheapies, can be very poor quality

Thanks Jo would that be any of or all of :unsure:

have you thought of hydrotherapy? its very good but quite expensive..... not sure if insurance covers it in all cases :luck:

i got my lurcher a magnetic collar+literally within a couple of weeks she was dashing around,before this she literally had to be lifted into the car! she also had oily fish added to her diet as well as oil added to her food on the non fish day! hope this helps :thumbsup:

good thread lesley as molly as just been diagnosed with arthritis in her hip and as developed a degree of incontinence in which the vet as perscribed propalin syrup and is working well for her.just need her arthritis sorting now.

Glucosamine supplements (I use Seraquin) really helped my greyhound when she became arthritic. Make sure you use a proper canine one, though, not the 'human' form which is different and much harder for dogs to absorb into their system.

I have also recently bought her a Bioflow magnetic collar. To be honest I didn't really expect it to do any good (but thought at least it can't do any harm). I'm now quite convinced it has helped her, she jumped quite happily into the back of the car the other day which she hasn't been able to do for months.

Shameless plug - I'm a distributor for bioflow collars Lesley :b

FeeFee said:
Glucosamine supplements (I use Seraquin) really helped my greyhound when she became arthritic.  Make sure you use a proper canine one, though, not the 'human' form which is different and much harder for dogs to absorb into their system.
the back of the car the other day which she hasn't been able to do for months.

Don't agree with that, Glucosamine is Glucosamine, as long as it is a good quality one and you have the right dosage (a maintenance dose should be approx 50 mgs per kg bodyweight). I have a lot of mine on Glucosamine and my old creaky boy has the Healthspan Glucosamine + Omega 3 which keeps him sound. I have used the Healthspan Vetvits Glucosamine tablets and they are not as good on them as on their 'human' ones.

Rae said:
Shameless plug - I'm a distributor for bioflow collars Lesley  :b

And they are fab :thumbsup: ......You saw The Twit sporting his Bioflow at Raes :wub: ......I'll add that Rhus Toxs is also great, it takes a while to build up in the system, but its worth a go :thumbsup: ......And as said a good Glucosimine at a decent dosage :luck:

Thanks everybody :cheers: I am armed with info to pass on now I knew you wouldn't let me down :huggles:

My last dog - a beautiful little IG - had arthritis and I had a copper necklace made for her which imo really worked. If you need the address of the lady that makes them pm me and I will pass her address on to you. :thumbsup:

dessie said:
FeeFee said:
Glucosamine supplements (I use Seraquin) really helped my greyhound when she became arthritic.  Make sure you use a proper canine one, though, not the 'human' form which is different and much harder for dogs to absorb into their system.

Don't agree with that, Glucosamine is Glucosamine, as long as it is a good quality one and you have the right dosage (a maintenance dose should be approx 50 mgs per kg bodyweight). I have a lot of mine on Glucosamine and my old creaky boy has the Healthspan Glucosamine + Omega 3 which keeps him sound. I have used the Healthspan Vetvits Glucosamine tablets and they are not as good on them as on their 'human' ones.

Sorry, but there is a difference. Human Glucosamine is usually Glucosamine Sulphate. Animal Glucosamine is usually Glucosamine Hydrochloride, which is much more concentrated and more easily absorbed into the system.

FeeFee said:
dessie said:
FeeFee said:

Sorry, but there is a difference. Human Glucosamine is usually Glucosamine Sulphate. Animal Glucosamine is usually Glucosamine Hydrochloride, which is much more concentrated and more easily absorbed into the system.

i always try and opt for glucosamine hydrochloride as against the sulphate for both myself and the dogs :D at its basic level the particles are smaller which is why it is more readily absorbed :thumbsup:

i get a mix made specially by my Oesteopath which includes varying degree's of allsorts for joint health-- glucosamine Hc, condroitin, hyaluronic acid, oligosaccarides (sp?) etc,

getting it made up specially to taylor for individual needs is a more expensive route to go down but IMO well worth it,

though most good health food shops do a good range of supliments specifically for dogs i'd suggest trying only one thing at a time to see what works, too much too soon can easily upset digestive systems,

if one of mine had mild arthritis i would probably try a glucosamine hc and chondroitin mix first, glucosamine for it's anti inflamatory pain killing properties and chondroitin for the cartillage support :thumbsup:

here's a good link to read :))

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cl...2&articleid=670

Back