The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Anyone used borrowmydoggy or swapaw?

SarahLdn

Registered
Reaction score
Hi fellow dog people!

I'm new to the forum and couldn't find the info I needed, so posting a new topic.

I'm in need of a doggy day care and realised that professional pet sitting would be too expensive for me. I've been using pet sitters for holidays, but if I have to use it on a weekly basis I'll go broke lol

So I know about Borrowmyboggy and recently came across Swapaw, both of them offering doggy care by fellow dog lovers or dog owners. Has anyone used them and do you have any feedback? I'm not sure whether to give it a go, as obviously it's a risk to leave your dog with someone you don't know, especially if they don't have experience with dogs. Any info is welcome. Thanks!

I looked at this too and contacted someone who lived on the way to where I work ..thought it would be ideal as she was brought up with dogs , said she had experience etc etc ..anyway i got talking to my best friend who lives in the same area and found out that this girl lived with her mother in law who actually wasn't happy with her having dogs at the house at all and the girl has just thrown a temper tantrum about doing it and the mother in law had just given in ..so I decided not to use her..im.not sure what back ground checks are done and I suppose you just have to use your instincts..but I'm quite paranoid about handing my fur babies over to strangers..even when we got a dog walker I dropped the key off at their house and made sure they did live where they said and I asked to.bills with their name and address on ..cos really ..anyone could come to your house ..clean you out and Nic your dog ..(I did say I was paranoid)... I walk my youngest before going to work and I have a dog walker come in mid day to take her out for a couple of hours ..its costs me £15 per day ..so basically 2 hours of the day is worked for my dog ..but i just couldn't leave her in her crate all day..and if I left her out she would re model the house lolol

Get to know your neighbours! I do agree you can't leave a dog confined for hours and I have and do use doggy daycare when I have to, but over the years my neighbours have been brilliant about popping in and either walking a dog or just playing in the garden. And I offer do the same for them of course- offer to walk a dog when someone's ill or having problems or feed cats when they're on holiday. If you can develop a little support network it takes the pressure off. ;)

Yes, that's my concern, are these people experienced with dogs and can you rely on them, especially if it's someone who you only met online. What's the reason they don't have a dog, etc... Sorry, I might sound paranoid, too ;) Might give Swapaw a try just to search other local dog owners and see what they're like. I'm not great with directly approaching my neighbours and asking for help, but might try to small talk them in the park haha ;)

Back