The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Any Other Basset Owners ?

Donnagoodwin80

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all I'm new , we lost our Dalmatian last year and finally come to the decision to give our love to another lil family member x I researched loads before hand and came to decision to add a basset to our lil family x I'm home all day with my youngest child and other two go school ,hubby works nights ! Just wondered if any other basset owners about ? Mum is havin his brother ,so we have reggie and ronnie ,due to come home next week yay !! (Which code do I use off photo bucket to add a pic lol I'm not very good with comps)

You are a brave soul :D

I don't have a basset, but I do have a closely related scent hound - a beagle

Bassets are five times the handful that beagles are though ;)

Yes lol I figured I'm brave :)

Done a lot of research though and am hoping that helps a lot (let's face it I'm gonna need )

A Basset sounds lovely and am sure will be no more trouble than any doggy is!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

You can either upload a picture by clicking on 'More Reply Options' and using the forum uploader or paste the 'img' code off Photobucket :)

image-3.jpg

Thanks x that's reggie n ronnie at 6 weeks old ,we get em next week when thy r 8 weeks

Oh my they are adorable!!!!

My best friend when I was a teen had a basset - his name was Welly and we loved him!

Oh they are beautiful!!

Scent hounds ARE more of a handful Banana - they're a nightmare, but very rewarding :)

Don't be afraid of ringing the breeder about any questions you have. They're usually the best people to give you sensible advice on guiding your pup as they grow. Bassets have a similar support charity to Beagle Welfare too. It's made up of Basset loving owners who are more than happy to share their experience and give advice too. Much of the time generic advice on dog training isn't as helpful with a scent hound ;)

See !! I fell in love lol

Yes the breeder has helped a lot and shall definatley message her if I need help x ill go look for basset welfare now Thankyou x

I'm a member of basset forum too and will be willing accept any advice and help on offer when I need it !

the best advice to give you is to decide what rules you expect of your adult dog, and instill them in your pup - and your children!

Our houndlet had been with us a week when he discovered the stairs. He sat on the bottom stair and sang 'I'm the king of the castle'. He was placed back on the hall floor to send the clear message to him that he isn't king of anything. He then identified the cotton doormat as a special comfy place that might hold the same throne like status, so he was removed from that and plonked back on the wooden floor

Remember to see the world from your hound's perspective. Don't let him 'pack climb' else when he reaches about 15 months you've cooked yourself a pot of trouble. It isn't a coincidence that this is an age they seem to start winding up in rescue.

Oh, and another tip - if you're feeding dried food, measure the whole day's food out in the morning. You can use pieces as treats during the day. This way you won't overfeed - especially with lots of family members feeding him. It's best to avoid feeding people food at all. It's a habit it's difficult to get your kids out of if it starts!

his i am a mad basset owner i must be i have 3 of them lol

i love your bassets bye the way adorable :)

Hello mad Basset woman!

Welcome to Dog Forum - 3 bassets - wow!

Thanks all x hi mad basset woman , iv read loads so I'm prepared ,did u find yours very hard to house train ?

Welcome to DogForum mad basset woman :)

would you like to show us some pictures of your pack too?

Welcome to DogForum mad basset woman :)

would you like to show us some pictures of your pack too?
hi everyone sorry i haven't been on & replied ive had one stinking migraine

it wasn't nice :(

anyway i will post some pics soon i'm just a little busy at the mo speak soon ;)

oh no :( migrane is horrid :(

I hope you're all better now :)

Well as asked here are my pics of my bassets

Gorge

SAM_4014-1.jpg

Jenny

JENNY35-2.jpg

June

JUNE41.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful hounds :)

Look at Gorge, looking like butter wouldn't melt :D

Hi all I'm new , we lost our Dalmatian last year and finally come to the decision to give our love to another lil family member x I researched loads before hand and came to decision to add a basset to our lil family x I'm home all day with my youngest child and other two go school ,hubby works nights ! Just wondered if any other basset owners about ? Mum is havin his brother ,so we have reggie and ronnie ,due to come home next week yay !! (Which code do I use off photo bucket to add a pic lol I'm not very good with comps)
any pics of your puppy then you must have got him by now & the suspense is killing me :-

piccys please ...not patiently waiting :p

Back