The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Any Advice Please For My New Pup

Pinkpooch

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Ive just joined the forum a while ago, been reading some posts etc. Got my new pup yesterday 7 weeks tomorrow, little girl called Fern.

Obviously she has just come away from Mum and her brothers and sisters, there were 9 pups in litter, she was the smallest, seems to have been a bit pushed out, fantastic nature with the children.

She is very whimpery (as expected I know), crying all last night. Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions to make her and me have a peaceful nights sleep instead of me having to sleep with her for nights on end. Of course if I do she will expect me to come down every time she cries. ! Would appreciate any advice. Thanks -_-

Hi and welcome to K9 :thumbsup:

Congratulations on getting Fern...please do post some pics of her.

Have you got a crate?? Have you got something that smells of her litter mates or you??

I've found using a crate helps them feel secure and if you have something that smells comforting to them i.e. from there litter mates or you it can sometimes help.

You could try moving her into your bedroom until she gets used to being on her own and then gradually moved her away until she's in the place you want her to sleep.

I'm sure some of the other K9ers with have some good advice for you too. :thumbsup:

It'll hard work to begin with but she'll be worth it...good luck :luck:

hi,she sounds sweet,would love to see a photo too! when one of my lurchers was a babe(a stray at 7 wks old) , I found that because she was so stressed+scared she cried when left downstairs at night. so I brought her +her bed and placed her beside my bed. She could see my face + I quietly talked to her until she quickly fell asleep -_- this worked a treat ,then as she became older, I slowly moved her bed further out of the room until she was fine sleeping in another room! I think that helping her to feel safe at night helped with her confidence too. hope this helps you.good luck :))

I'm just working on an FAQ topic for this subject because it comes up so often. Give me half an hour and I'll collate some threads for you :thumbsup:

~Helen~ said:
I'm just working on an FAQ topic for this subject because it comes up so often. Give me half an hour and I'll collate some threads for you :thumbsup:
Super Helen to the rescue (w00t) :cheers: :thumbsup:

Sorry, I was a bit longer than half an hour :wacko: someone arrived for a cup of tea and now an engineer has come to fix something... but I've got some bits together for you. If anyone can remember any other good threads (just the member's name is enough for me to go on) then I'll add more :thumbsup:

Here's the link to the new FAQ topic: click me

Pinkpooch said:
Hi,
Ive just joined the forum a while ago, been reading some posts etc.  Got my new pup yesterday 7 weeks tomorrow, little girl called Fern.

Obviously she has just come away from Mum and her brothers and sisters, there were 9 pups in litter, she was the smallest, seems to have been a bit pushed out, fantastic nature with the children.

She is very whimpery (as expected I know), crying all last night.  Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions to make her and me have a peaceful nights sleep instead of me having to sleep with her for nights on end.  Of course if I do she will expect me to come down every time she cries. ! Would appreciate any advice.  Thanks  -_-

I have had a number of puppies over the years and have always found that leaving a radio tuned into Radio 4 always helped at night or when I was away from the house.

:cheers:

Back