The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Another question how to settle pup on first night?

andy5898

Registered
Reaction score
Just thought of another question.... On the first night I have been reading because he is only 8 weeks old its best not to let Ernie in to the lounge or where there are carpets and keep him contained to 1 room. I just wondered what others thought of this view? I'm not sure on it myself it seems a bit harsh considering he has only just left his brothers and sisters but either way any advice welcome.

Thanks

I have very recently got a puppy (just three days ago) and she really cried on her first night when put in her training crate! It was very hard not to go down and comfort her, but we have had a family dog before and have been told not to go down. So I researched methods to calm puppies. I kept seeing people mention using a hot water bottle (to mimic their mum's heat) and a ticking watch (to mimic mum's heart beat).

I must say, I tried both and they has worked perfectly! She cuddles straight up to the hot water bottle and has slept through the night for the last two nights. Also, if I put the hot water bottle in her cage during the day she will go in to the crate on her own and go to sleep.

So I have kept her confined (to protect our carpets), but have tried to replicate what she was used to and this seems to be working.

Good luck!!

I have been told these tricks work well and it does replicate what they are used too! Another thing to get her used to your smell is to put an old t-shirt or such item with your smell on it so she learns that is her new home scent. If you have got other soft toys and blankers just try and make it as cosy as you can for her. :)

Back