The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Advice On Dangerous Dogs Act

Rabbitrunner

Registered
Reaction score
What dogs come under the dangerous dogs act ? should breeds like staffies be under control (on leads) in public places ? Any info would be welcome..

Obviously you have the full answer on the link above.

Staffie's are NOT covered by the dangerous dogs act.

errrrr,sorry yes they are.as is any dog that is off the lead in a public place.i think its paragrah 3 subsection a),b) and c)a dog that is out of control in a public place can be confiscated under the present legislation.the breed doesnt matter.if a yorky is out of control ie off the lead and the person whether the owner or the handler has no control over the dog then they can be prosecuted under the act.everyone thinks its just for specific breeds well it isnt.if you read between the legal jargon in the following subsections the secretary of state can add other breeds to the current legislation just by adding to the current law but you dont have to own these breeds to be prosecuted.so in theory a rottweiller or a staffy or a doberman can be prosecuted.when this law was brought in there was uproar that the government had brought it in without thinking it through properly.they did.as the current law stands if a member of the public is IN FEAR of a dog biting them note i said fear not that the dog HAD to bite them then they can be prosecuted.i dont know how many other breeds have been prosecuted under this act as ive not got knowledge of records of each individual councils or police records but i suspect its probably minimally low figures.but that doesnt mean it cant happen,it can :thumbsup:

I meant that Staffie's are not one of the resticted / 'banned' breeds. :)

The dangerous dogs act is so complex - an absolute minefield!

It had me confused after reading a few lines :oops:

jok said:
I meant that Staffie's are not one of the resticted / 'banned' breeds. :)
well youre right hun they arent. :thumbsup: but ANY dog can become a victim of this act.thats what caused the uproar when it was first enacted.a lot of folk could see how it could be used against any dog

Back