The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Advice Needed Please

david rees

Registered
Reaction score
hi everyone im new to the forum , so bear with me,,,

my 12 week old lurcher pup was fine when i picked her up 2 weeks ago but has now developed what i can only describe as rickets in her front legs ,,

when she puts her weight on them her front knee,s shake and bow out,,

anyone got any ideas what it is ,, any help would be great,,,

what are you feeding her? ricketts is a sign of a defiency, ie not getting enough of certain vitamins/minerals, cant remember which, though :(

have you wormed her, given jabs etc? definately worth going to the vets

lalena said:
what are you feeding her? ricketts is a sign of a defiency, ie not getting enough of certain vitamins/minerals, cant remember which, though :( have you wormed her, given jabs etc? definately worth going to the vets

thanks for the reply,, she,s had her jabs and is on good quality dry food

the vets it is then,,

i may be wrong but think ricketts is a vitamin d defiency lol u get vit d from sunshine and fish oil ?try omega 3 as well what ever vet prescribes

lalena said:
what are you feeding her? ricketts is a sign of a defiency, ie not getting enough of certain vitamins/minerals, cant remember which, though :( definately worth going to the vets

Its an imbalance of calcium, phosphorus & vit D, and affects young dogs particularly large breeds. Believe treatment is very effective, but dont hang around too long David as fractures can be caused by the bones being extra soft. Best of :luck: :luck:

Poor little thing! You must be worried sick. Which dry food are you feeding?

Sardines, Pilchards in tomato sauce & fresh meat (rabbit/chicken/lamb) cooked with pasta/rice or raw would be good to feed her one meal a day instead of just dry. She should be on 3-4 meals a day until she's about 6 months old & then down to 2/3.

Mine liked weetabix and milk too at that age :) (still do sometimes)

Hope her little legs straighten up very soon. Very best wishes (pics please!)

david rees said:
hi everyone im new to the forum , so bear with me,,,my 12 week old lurcher pup was fine when i picked her up 2 weeks ago but has now developed what i can only describe as rickets in her front legs ,,

when she puts her weight on them her front knee,s shake and bow out,,

anyone got any ideas what it is ,, any help would be great,,,

Firstly Dont Worry Lurchers are hardy dogs and mostly seam to miss out on the usual puppy mallodies, its been my exspereance that dry food contains far too much protein most being around 22 to 25% and this can lead to growth deformitys in puppys and almost certanly stresses the kidneys it is unlikely that the pup has developed Rickkets in the space of two weeks but it is something for your vet to check .I have found that geting the diet right as pups when they are more ready to eat differant things saves a lot of work latter on If you need to continue using Dry food "James Wellbeloved" make 3 or 4 differant types all with 16 to 18% protein and natural ingredents its a bit exspensive but worth it in the long run. Jackie Drakeford talks a lot of sense about diet in her book, and i have seen her lurchers working a few times and they were all in top condition hope the little fellow gets well soon

I once rescued a saluki cross pup from some gypsies that had rickets. I think she was 4 months old. I fed her on pro plan puppy for 2 weeks and her legs straightened. I didn't exersize her alot though, just good food and rest. Shes healthy and happy now though. Good luck with her. :luck: :))

i used to get this with dobermanns every now and then,its when theyre going through a growth spurt and they need a quick surge in their calcium intake sometimes just for a few days or a week or two.give doses of col-o-cal-d or a good calcium supplement from the pet shop or vet and you should see a difference in a few days or so. :thumbsup:

Back